HAL's Best of Ketchikan by Land and Sea

westlab

I called HAL about this excursion today.

30 minutes at Saxman Village

60 minutes at Cannery

90 minutes on the boat

Plus time between places

I hope someone who has taken this excursion responds as I want to make a decision about excursions soon.

I have gotten my Ketchikan list down to :

1) Best of Ketchikan by Land/Sea

2) Mistory Fjords and Wilderness Explorer

3) Misty Fjords Boat/Plane

Best of Ketichikan by land/sea is currently my top choice due to the cost of the others.

Took it on Princess, not HAL, but it is the same tour. It was our first time to Alaska (2008), so it seemed like a good overview of the Ketchikan area. Also, since we had our son along, it was rationally priced for 3 people. It was a good overview. The bus driver and tour guide told us a lot about the area while driving to Saxman. There we had some time to look at the totems, watch a carver work on a pole, and also check out the gift shop (which has authentic native items; not the junk you get in many of the downtown Ketchikan shops; pricier but nicer). From there we continued on the bus to the old cannery. There was a tour that explained all the cannery operations and also a short film. Canning was really the main thing in Ketchikan prior to tourism, so it was of historical interest. The boat is waiting at the cannery dock. We toured around the area looking at the scenery and wildlife. It was quite beautiful. We enjoyed the tour. It was a good overview of the area and the tour guides were very knowledgable and friendly. I would recommend it for a family and for first visitors to Ketchikan. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner...busy today. There was a boat portion. We boarded the boat at the old cannery after touring the cannery. I think the boat portion was the best part. We went all around the area (it was a gorgeous day). The scenery was wonderful.

Archived