Cruising w/DD, Different Names, Get Passport?

In this age of litigation and heighten security the "rules" change fairly regularly. It is tough to keep up! When the lines are traveling to multiple different countries, each iternerary will have different regulations that they need to follow.

Some of the folks that are grousing here are the same folks who would be complaining if the lines actually tried to put out all of the regulations - "it's too confusing.:confused: " If the lines then just published the "worst case" sceanrio indicating that you need to submit valid passport, birth certificate, notarized statement indicating that your child is authorized to travel with you, etc. (DNA sample?), these same folks would complain if someone didn't closely examine each one of them:eek: . Of course if they did require them and examine each one, these folks would complain about how long it takes:D !

Common sense should prevail - Research the documentation required for your specific situation. Decide for yourself what you are comfortable taking with and then do so.

If your child has a different last name than yours (for whatever reason), you can expect some additional scruitany (sp??). If you are traveling without your child's other parent, you can expect some additional scruitany.

I have taken a number of trips with my minor child. I actually called both the State Dept. and Immigration and was told that I could be denied boarding (plane or ship) if I did not have proof that I had sole custody of my son or a notarized letter from his father saying that I could take him out of the country. I actually know someone who could not get on her plane to go to Mexico with her children. So, I got my son a passport and I carry his birth certificate and the court order giving me sole custody. Its alot of paper, but we always get on!!!!

Archived