Need info on how to get from cruise port in Corsica to town, and Monte Carlo

gam888

Going on Disney cruise to Europe in August. Need info on how to get from the cruise dock once you are in Ajaccio, Corsica to the town, and what are the sightseeing must do? Will also dock in Villefranche, need to know how to get to Monte Carlo or Nice from there? If we only have time to see one town, which one is more interesting and easy to walk around once you are there? Also need to know info from folks who have been to Italy, info regarding going from port Civitavecchia into rome, from port La Spezia to Florence, from Naples to Sorreno, Could anyone who has taken the train from the station into the city tell me how much it cost return? We are a family of 5, are there any local vendors at the port who will offer a sightseeing tour in a van into the corresponding city? Disney charges a small fortune for their shore excursions. What is the best sequence to visit Rome if we only have say 5,6 hours once we are in the city? Vatican, Colosseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain are on the list if possible to fit them all in. Florence I believe the center and the Pont Vecchieo area is within walking distance from the train station? Please share any info possible for the do it yourself excursions. Thanks

The answers to your questions could fill a book;), so I will just repeat my answer from the Italy forum, and add a thought or two:

Please read through the forums where you'll find most of the information that you've requested. (Not sure about La Spezia-Florence though, so you may want to post a specific question re that in the Italy forum.)

Also, by using "Search This Forum" (at the top of the forum page) you'll be able to zero in on the locations of interest. i.e. on this forum, search "Corsica" for threads on Corsica, and in a separate search "train" (this will give you links to threads on taking the train or bus from Villefranche to Nice and/or Monte Carlo.)

One site that you'll find useful: eport reviews

From this site, choose the ports that you'll be in, scroll through the info, and at the bottom of the page there is usually a link to more info on DIY via train, bus, etc. from the port city to the main attraction (eg. train from Villefrance to Monte Carlo.)

Rick Steves' guidebooks are very helpful for DIY touring ... I was able to borrow his books, Provence and the French Riviera, and Italy, from our local library, and Chapters also sells them.

Enjoy your cruise!

We just returned from the Magic and I wrote a review on the Disney board. In Ajaccio the ship is docked in the heart of town just get off the ship and walk out the gate. All the questions you asked are easily found on the Italy boards. Also there are a lot of trip reviews that have been written since the first few cruises are finished.

Here is a really good review with great pictures. This is not my review. I'm not that good at doing reviews!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2485312&page=4

Archived