San Juan on a Sunday 2:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Ladybug78

Hello all,

Our first port stop on our cruise is San Juan. We will be there Sunday, July 18th from 2 - 11:30. We are planning on hitting the forts as soon as we get there, and just wandering on our own that day.

I was wondering what fun things there might be to see or do at night. I heard something about a street fair on Sunday nights with music and vendors. Can someone tell me more about this or if they even still have this?

Thank you so much!

So much to do and see...good choice to start at the fort. Then walk the main street down and stop at the many neat and unique shops. Don't be in a hurry, take your time and enjoy the 500 year old city. Notice how almost all of the old buildings have a center court for ventilation. Many neat places to go in and have a cold drink or a bite to eat, (try a local "Medalla" beer...good!). Sit in the "plazas" for some people watching. Go into El Convento Hotel and see where the Carmelites nuns lived for centuries in total silence (were not allowed to talk). Walk through the "door of San Juan" towards the bay and imagine Spaniards going into the city after their ships anchored just outside the door. Grab a "piragua" from a street vendor (snow cone) and get it in these flavors "tamarindo y frambuesa" (tamarind and berry). The combination of the sweet and tart taste is amazing. Try a "cafe con leche" (puertorican style latte) and a "mallorca" a spanish sweet bread; they are to die for.

Smell the ocean breeze and enjoy it.

Archived