Taxi Questions

ileys

We will be visiting in September on the Dream, and there will be seven of us in our party. Are there van-taxis that will be large enough to carry all of us, and can we negotiate a discount for that many? We are planning on going to West Bay (probably Bananarama), and $140 to drive from Mahogany to there and back seems a bit extreme. I am also considering renting a car/van, but I cannot find out which agencies are at Mahogany.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We will be visiting in September on the Dream, and there will be seven of us in our party. Are there van-taxis that will be large enough to carry all of us, and can we negotiate a discount for that many? We are planning on going to West Bay (probably Bananarama), and $140 to drive from Mahogany to there and back seems a bit extreme. I am also considering renting a car/van, but I cannot find out which agencies are at Mahogany.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seriously,

You think $20 per person round trip from Mahogany Bay to West Bay is extreme? Your paying HOW much for your boat ride? I would hate to be the waiter at your table when the tip thing was brought up..

Sorry folks but were talking $20, whats that? one or two specialty drinks?

Yes, I do consider the $70 each way to be a bit high for a 15-30 minute ride. Extreme may have been a bit strong on my part, but I do not believe that it deserved your reaction. I do not mind spending money, but I also prefer to not to take cash, pile it up, and set it on fire. If I can rent a van for the day for $100, then I save $110. I do not believe that it is an outrageous question. If I cannot do that, then I will fork over what I have to in order to get where I need to go - I am simply looking for alternatives.

$20 r/t from MB to West bay is a good price, What price would you think is fair? You act as if seven people is some type of major event. How much is your trip costing per mile divided by a few thousand people? Come on, it's twenty dollars. You say you could rent a van for $100 and save $110 , I just cant figure that out when you said total cost was $140 for 7 people.

I agree that it's a lot of money for a short ride to/from the beach! Many taxis charge per vehicle, not per person. It doesn't cost the driver any more in gas to drive one person or several.

Most "taxis" cannot hold 7 people, even in big US Cities you would not fit more than a few in one taxi and would pay more for a bus/minivan. Just what is a taxi fare for 15 miles in NY City? Then figure gas at $4 per gallon? Again, your talking $20 per person to pay Islanders on an Island you were never even invited to while at the same time paying more than that in tips every night on the ship that you paid good money to be on and expect great service in the first place.

Sorry, But if you think $20 r/t to West bay from MB is too expensive then your some really cheap people looking to really take advantage of the local poor. Why not just ask the big money wealthy cruise owners to take a loss of a few hundred dollars and let you do whatever excursion you want on their dime? If this gets me booted off of CC then so be it but come on , It's $20.

At $4.00 a gallon (if it is that much), how much would it cost a driver in gas, $12.00 at most round trip?

Of course Roatan isn't going to send an "invitation" to visit, but I don't see them turning down the travelers that stop there and spend money.

And what we pay in tips on the cruise has nothing to do with this. Apples and oranges.

At $4.00 a gallon (if it is that much), how much would it cost a driver in gas, $12.00 at most round trip?

Of course Roatan isn't going to send an "invitation" to visit, but I don't see them turning down the travelers that stop there and spend money.

And what we pay in tips on the cruise has nothing to do with this. Apples and oranges.

.just answer the simple part,

What would a 15 mile taxi ride cost in any North American metro city? What taxi could hold 7 passengers?

If $20 r/t from MB is too much then just stay at the MB beach, HECK, Carnival charges $10 for a 5 minute ski lift ride to their beach from their boat

It doesn't cost the driver any more in gas to drive one person or several.

It doesn't cost the cruise ships much diffferent from travelling empty or full, Just what is your point? If one person pays their cruise fare should others travel free except for meals?

.just answer the simple part,

What would a 15 mile taxi ride cost in any North American metro city? What taxi could hold 7 passengers?

If $20 r/t from MB is too much then just stay at the MB beach, HECK, Carnival charges $10 for a 5 minute ski lift ride to their beach from their boat

I wouldn't pay $10 for their 5 minute ski lift ride either.

I don't usually take taxis but I doubt two taxis in the U.S. would cost $140 round trip that distance.

Does the $140 for 7 mean that you "own" the van/driver for the entire day? In other words, if you've got the van for the entire day, you can make as few/many stops along the way as you wish for sightseeing, photo ops, etc. The driver/van will wait for you will you're on the beach, can take you to out of the way restaurants for lunch etc. So - it may be more than "just a ride" to the beach. Having the freedom to come/go as you please during your day in Roatan is invaluable and will make it easy for you to get a sense of what makes this island so special.

If you're already thinking of going to Bananarama - you can book with Bananarama directly? They have a package (IIRC) that includes transportion, lounge chairs on the beach (they rent for $5/each) and may also include a drink.

As for car rental agencies on site at MB, I'm not aware that there are any. Most of the rental agencies are located at/near the airport which is about 10 minutes from MB. You'll spend value port time doing your own driving when you could be sitting in the back of an air conditioned van letting someone else do the driving for you.....

It sounds to me that the OP means it's simply transportation to and from the beach and not that they have exclusive use of the van and driver for the day. If that is true, I still think $140 is a lot. Roatan1 is using the theory that "it's only $20"....yeah....EACH....but $140 for a family is costly.

The going rate for a cab from the airport or docks to West End/West Bay is $20 pp but with a group of seven you should be able to negotiate that down some, especially if you make arrangements with the drivers to go both ways. Cruise shippers do get preyed on somewhat as a captive audience, so that makes your ability to negotiate somewhat harder than if you were staying on the island. A group of your size will need two cabs. There are very few vans/mini-buses around and those are usually operated by tours, which are going to cost you even more. Do what it takes to get away from the docks and enjoy Roatan. It is my favourite Caribbean destination and I can't wait to get back there next winter.

Don't get too worked up about Roatan1. He's a regular on all the Roatan forums, where he is just as crusty and negative as he is here.

The going rate for a cab from the airport or docks to West End/West Bay is $20 pp but with a group of seven you should be able to negotiate that down some, especially if you make arrangements with the drivers to go both ways..

This is my point exactly, you mention the going rate of $20, thats fine, and then negotiating for the group size , especially if they go both ways, They already have negotiated that into half price as they say the $20pp rate is R/T so they are only paying $10 each way per person, a 50% discount if your numbers are accurate

but $140 for a family is costly.

If the famly can aford the cruise then they needs to plan for the things on the land too. The taxi guy has to pay the same to the owner no matter what it does all day long so its taken from him when he does a better prices, the same driver needs to buy gas and fix tires and other things with the car, then he goes to his home and have to tell his family he had to give a cheaper price so there isn't much money but the carnivale cruise company makes almost at 3 billions dollars a year

So a family should pay top $$$ for everything in port "because they can afford to cruise"? :confused: Most families need to budget and be thrifty or they won't be able to afford a cruise.

Please re read through the post, even those arguing that I am wrong about this still admit they are getting a great deal. Afterall, it has been mentioned the trip from the port to WB should be $20 and they are paying $10, Thats a 50% break. Sure, Budgeting is fine but if a fifty percent discount is not enough then that whole budgeting thing may need to be looked at little closer. If the budget is truly such an issue then why bother even leaving the MB terminal, their beach if free for those that paid to cruise with them.

Fifty percent off is hardly paying

top $$$ for everything in port

Archived