ROLL CALL: 15-Night Transatlantic on Constellation 05/07/2011

wxjcupo

We have been to all of the ports on this voyage previously. There should be a shuttle in Ponta del Gada. If notm the center of town is a somewhat long, but not impossible, walk along beautiful black-and-white stone mosaic sidewalks. A few good churches but mostly just a lovely, atmospheric town.

Lisbon we'll do the tram and probably use the elevators and other public transportation. Lunch in one of the gay cafes in upper town.

With an early start and train reservations, we hope to revisit Honfleur and Rouen. Have not been to either in a long time. Can still taste the moules a la normande (in cream sauce). Three hours in Honfleur should be sufficient, then a train to Rouen and then back to Cherbourg. We might instead rent a car, if we find another couple interested in sharing the costs. Driving is easy in Normandy, except for finding one's way around in Rouen. We have motored through Normandy before. Anyone interested?

Still working on Le Havre.

Thank you for the information on the Ponta del Gada. The shuttle or being able to walk to town should make for a leisurely self exploration.

Tram 28 is on our list for Lisboa.

We will probably do some self exploration at Cherbourg and Le Harve, but haven't researched or decided yet.

We're leaning towards a ship's tour at Dover.

Anyone interested in joining us (Michael and Robert) in a car rental for the day in Le Havre (about $57/day exclusive of any extras such as insurance)? The distances between LH and Honflelur and Honfleur and Rouen are small enough (20 minutes LH to Honfleur and less than an hour Honfleur to Rouen) to make this excursion more than feasible.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be coming in the evening before also. Are you staying at the Hampton Inn at the airport or the one on Andrews Ave.?

Hi voyagerx,

We will be staying at the SW 12th one, which I guess is the one by the airport. Will you be there as well?

--Jeff

Hi voyagerx,

We will be staying at the SW 12th one, which I guess is the one by the airport. Will you be there as well?

--Jeff

We got a better deal at the Holiday Inn at the airport, so booked there. See you all on board. I gather from the regular roll call thread for this cruise that the complimentary "cocktails" for elite status passengers will not be available the first night, so we will very likely be at the Martini Bar (or whatever it is call now) around 7pm. This is the most likely gathering place for guys, unless a notice is posted for a FOD or GLBT gathering in another venue and/or at a different time. I know that RCI is gay friendly... but their no notices policy is a pain.

Hi voyagerx,

--Jeff

We got a better deal at the Holiday Inn at the airport, so booked there. See you all on board. I gather from the regular roll call thread for this cruise that the complimentary "cocktails" for elite status passengers will not be available the first night, so we will very likely be at the Martini Bar (or whatever it is call now) around 7pm. This is the most likely gathering place for guys, unless a notice is posted for a FOD or GLBT gathering in another venue and/or at a different time. I know that RCI is gay friendly... but their no notices policy is a pain.

Excellent. The only reason why I am staying at the Hampton is because I am using my points for a free stay and they had a free shuttle both from the airport and to the pier. Only a little over a week away!

14 should be a good group to start, though I expect there will be more, at least initially. We have open seating so we will be in the Martini Bar till about 8pm or so. I know some of you have early seating, but even so, you probably will be out of dinner in time to meet some of us, who eat later. We can then try to set a place and time to meet more regularly, if so desired.

Non sequitor: Anyone interested in a car rental in Le Havre to visit Honfleur and environs and also, possibly, Rouen. A car will be much less expensive than any tours taken by two and you can stay or go as you please and not have to go to a shop or factory that sells something that you don't want at inflated prices.

We’re just a few days away. This is the G&L roll call so far from posters to this thread. (in order of posts)

wxjcupo & InPR - Jeff & ? - Mobile, AL

cruiseguysusa - Gary & Chi - San Francisco Bay Area, CA

westcoast1330 & dam 1050 - Paul & Dave - Vancouver BC

ilovebooking - Warren & Werner - Ann Arbor, MI

kruzguys - ? & ? - Washington, DC

Voyagerx – Michael & Robert - ?

jj1900 - ? - ?

tt dp – Tim & Dale – Denver CO

If you are interested in an informal no host get together the first day after sail away, meet in the Martini Bar at 5:30 PM.

If you are interested in an informal no host get together the first day after sail away, meet in the Martini Bar at 5:30 PM.

Looking forward to it guys !!

We'll probably pick up more people after the second day as well ... on our Infinity Canal cruise last month the "Notice Board" by guest services had a posting on it (which looked as if made up by "X") with a daily meeting time for FOD parties in Martini Bar from 7:45 to 8:30 [no listings in the DAILY] -- not to say Constellation will be the same -- just to mention.

See you Saturday @ 5:30 ... safe travels to all

Dave and Paul

I'm Chris... just recently moved from Denver to Fort Lauderdale. Experienced cruiser (frequently with Pied Piper), but new to CruiseCritics. What a great resource!

Not booking excursions until aboard the ship with a chance to meet some folks and see what others are doing and why.

I would definitely be up for sharing the cost of a car to explore in France; especially if there is a group of us. Bus trips are exhausting and I much prefer the flexibility to roam around at leisure in the destination towns, but it is nice to have the security of knowing the ship will be waiting for you if something goes wrong...

See you at the Martini Bar at 5:30, if not before.

Chris

I'm Chris... just recently moved from Denver to Fort Lauderdale. Experienced cruiser (frequently with Pied Piper), but new to CruiseCritics. What a great resource!

Not booking excursions until aboard the ship with a chance to meet some folks and see what others are doing and why.

I would definitely be up for sharing the cost of a car to explore in France; especially if there is a group of us. Bus trips are exhausting and I much prefer the flexibility to roam around at leisure in the destination towns, but it is nice to have the security of knowing the ship will be waiting for you if something goes wrong...

See you at the Martini Bar at 5:30, if not before.

Chris

Welcome,

As I posted previously, my partner and I are interested in renting a car for the long day in Le Havre. Because of the width of the roads in this part of France (have driven there previously), a compact car is essential, therefore a max of 4 persons would be possible. We can see what develops as we discuss this possibility.

Michael

Welcome aboard Chris. How fortunate you don’t have far to travel to catch the ship. :D

Here is the G&L roll call so far from posters to this thread. (in order of posts)

wxjcuop & InPR --- Jeff & ? --- Mobile, AL

cruiseguysusa --- Gary & Chi --- San Francisco, CA

westcoast1330 & dam 1050 --- Paul & Dave --- Vancouver, BC

ilovebooking --- Warren & Werner --- Ann Arbor, MI

kruzguys --- ? & ? --- ?

voyagerx --- Michael & Robert --- ?

jj1900 --- ? --- ?

tt dp --- Tim & Dale --- Denver, CO

bamatexan --- Chris --- Ft Lauderdale, FL

Looking forward to meeting everyone Saturday in the Martini Bar at 5:30 PM.

Archived