best mode of transport from newark airport to cape liberty cruise port

el2001mail

i need to get from newark airport to cape liberty cruise port. is there a shuttle service from the airport that i can catch without a reservation? cost? or is it better to hail a taxi? cost?

i hear traffic is horrific and taxis can be very expensive if metered. thanks for all advice.

wow! info overload on your blog -- but good! never done the canada/new england cruise.

we overnight before embarkation. thinking of staying close to the newark airport. prob want to leave around 1030 am for the ship. hotel has airport shuttle and we thought it would be easier to catch a shuttle from the airport to the terminal. is there a regular shuttle that goes to the cruise terminal from newark airport?

or is it better to fly in to a new york airport rather than newark? distance wise they seem to be about the same, but traffic wise?

we have almost a day at disembarkation before flying home -- flight at 630 pm. any tours you would recommend for the day? never been to your part of the continent. i am from vancouver, bc, canada.

thanks for all advice.

you are sailing from NJ so fly into NJ....it will be cheaper to get to the pier....

there is not really a shuttle from the airport to the pier....just get a taxi or car service...i listed 2 above to make it easier...and shuttles are never easier....you are at THEIR liberty/schedule. With a cab or car service you are on YOUR time...

as for time, well you'll need to allow 2 hours or even 3 to check in at the airport so you'd want to be there by 3:30. (security lines at all 3 NY/NJ area airports are usually ALWAYS LONG and you're flying international...)

Soooo what would you want to see??? we can help if you give us ideas. But you can't check your bags until about 4 hours before the flight so how are you at hauling bags??? that is a consideration. and there is nothing in NJ that is near the airport to see-nor is there a tour. (you could probably get to the Statue of Liberty but that has its own set of issues regarding getting there, etc...)

as for info overload...sorry, but i really got tired of typing it all out every time someone asked....some day when i feel like it i will try and sort it out but that's time consuming and much of my time is consumed caring for an elderly, sick mother....

You want to fly into Newark unless the cost is significantly less to LGA or JFK - the transportation from those airports will be $90-125 instead of $45-50. Also, the hotels are less expensive at Newark Airport.

There is no shuttle that goes from Newark to the port; however, coming back there is shuttle service for $15/pp. What hotel are you considering staying at? Newark is a highly urban area and hotel choice is really important. You should book a car service to take you to the port leaving around 10 am.

If you have a late flight there is little to do unless you want to go into NYC, pay to store your luggage, and then go back to the airport. The only other option we have come up with is to disembark early, go to the airport and rent a car to drive to Liberty State Park (NJ) to take the boat out to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Renting a car solves the luggage storage issue and leaves you hands free for the day. This is an easy trip and does not get you involved in NYC traffic.

the dispatchers at the pier will group people based on destination. They will cram a lot of peeps and bags into mini buses or vans for $15 each.

It is REALLY crowded...they pack the maximum capacity of people and bags. I have done this twice, well 3 times but once i was just getting dropped at the grocery store next to the pier. the van was packed but I am not sure how long you'd have to wait for a regular cab.

My preference would be to book a car service to take you back. It's worth the little bit of extra money and you will be more comfortable. Again, YMMV but the taxi/shuttle/van line can be long and tedious....it's really just a roll of the dice...

Archived