avomine for kids

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would let you know that the pharmacist assures me you can give Avomine to kids under 10 - as young as 4 - even though the packet says for over 10 yrs.

He suggested I give them half a tablet each night. Has anyone tried this?

Now to work out how to get my 7 and 9 yr olds to swallow a tablet...

Maybe I could take a tube of condensed milk and they could swallow the tablet with a bit of that???

Any thoughts???

Although I haven't used Avomine for my kids in the past - the pharmacist did a conversion for me when they took children's Dramomine off the market.

I've made the switch to Phernerghan now ... (apprently that's what the ship's doctor gives in the injection should you need to have it) - the tablets are small - and when my daughter was younger, you could get the liquid version of it specifically for children which was much easier to administer. The Phernerghan can make the a bit drowsy - but I found with my two that the excitement of the cruise, and so much to see and do kept them going until bedtime - and beyond!

On my doctor's advice, my daughter (who when younger couldn't be drive across town without getting motion sickness) would get a dose of Phernerghan the night before we left (great for helping them sleep when excited ;)) then another the morning of our cruise then whatever the suggested dosage is after that for the first few days. Once we were over amongst the islands, she generally coped well and I would start dosing her up again for the sea days home ... just in case. Thankfully, she's never suffered sea sickness (felt a bit sick sometimes, but has managed to keep on top of it!).

I also now make sure she's dosed up before we drive back home from our cruise (this was the one and only time she did get sick --- on the way home from our first cruise) - and then for another 24 hours until she got her land legs back!

Hope you have a great, sea-sickness-free cruise!!:):p

Hi

Avomine and Phenergan have the same active ingredient (promethazine) so Lindas idea of using a syrup for the young ones is a great idea, or get some jam from the breakfast buffet and put the tab in it on a spoon of jam.

I am one of the unfortunates who needs the avomine and would not leave home without it

There are several other ideas that can some times help prevent seas sickness.

Taking Ginger is one.

Another unusual but harmless one that my Wife says works for her and she gets sick easy is a dab of Vicks chest rub cream on your belly button covered with a band aid.

Good luck

Archived