Newbie question...Tacky?

RickD

Greetings all,

I am taking my wife on a surprise cruise on the Oosterdam in April. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary and this will be our first cruise.

My tradition has been to give my wife a number or red roses equal to the year of our anniversary. Last year was easy with a nice even 2 dozen! Since we will be away a week before we board (Detouring through Vegas and Palm Springs) I am going to order 25 roses for our cabin so that she can enjoy them during the cruise.

I have picked up some great advice from these boards but there is one thing I haven't read much about— "Bon Voyage" gifts.

Being a rookie I have just become aware of the custom (ordering the roses) and I think it is a rather nice idea. We don't know anyone who has cruised so our family, friends and co-workers would probably not be aware of this either.

The rub here is that since we are leaving before our actual anniversary and will be away for 2 weeks we are not giving anyone the opportunity to wish us well. (Assuming that they wanted to)

I am thinking that if anyone were so inclined then a "BV Gift" would be a great idea.

I am sending out our itinerary and the dilemna I am having is this:

How do I inform the "crowd" of this opportunity without making it appear that I am "asking" for something?

Would this just be too tacky?

Any thoughts?

Rick,

Just add a little note that you will be giving your DW a Bon Voyage gift of a the roses on the ship. Then other can call you and ask how you did it if they want to send a gift.

BTW you can order flowers and other items off the ship and have it delivered to the ship at a greatly reduced rate than ordering through the ship.

Deb

I bring my wife flowers just 'cause.

'Cause I'm in the grocery store and happen to see them.

'Cause I'm on my way home and think of it.

'Cause she just came from the dentist and it would make her feel good.

'Cause she didn't laugh at me when I did something REALLY stupid in public.

'Cause it's Tuesday.

Just 'cause.

I really am surprised more men don't.

I salute you Sir!

I do the same thing, atlmagic! My wife constantly tells me "no, don't buy me flowers, they will just die, I don't need flowers" ...but every time I show up with them, her face breaks into that beautiful smile!

RickD, I'm curious...is it more expensive to order 23 or 25 roses than it is to order an even 24? That is, do they charge extra for an unusual order? Next Monday will be my 7th anniversary, by the way...thanks for reminding me! ;)

atlmagic,

Thanks for the nice words. My DW (catching on here) always says to not buy her flowers but I just know she loves them. It's just so easy to make her feel special.

etoile,

The last few years I have had to make arrangements well in advance of our anniversary because at around 20 years I had a bit of a hard time finding enough fresh red roses. There was also a point where it was less expensive to pay for 2 dozen than the 1 dozen plus single price. The florist just charged me for the 2 dozen price.

Have a happy anniversary.

Regards,

R

From a female point of view, keep the flowers going!!!. I'm sure your wife loves recieving them and will love the idea that you do put lots of thought behind them.

We are celebrating 30 years of marraige this April, and since the birth of each of our 3 children (now aged 22.25.28) my DH has always included 3 red roses in ANY floral gift he has sent, (one for each child) and in the case of my 45th birthday I had a wonderful basket with 45 red roses AND 3 extra.

Even after all these years the novelty/romance of this has never faded.

So go ahead with your 25 , I wish you a happy anniversary and many more occasions to send those beautiful roses.

Kindest regards from bonnie scotland

Rick,

For the record, I will be celebrating my 25th in March, but won't be sailing until June.

I won't be getting flowers from my husband, he doesn't get it. :eek: Could you give lessons to some of these guys on how to be a better husband? :D Sounds like you have it down pat.

Deb

I have been giving flowers to my wife since we met,for no special reason other than to make her happy.It works.Also on almost every cruise we have been on I will have some sort of gift in the cabin for my wife and kids.It is a great way to start the cruise.I would have to agree with a previous poster just let your friends and family know that you will be on a cruise for your anniversary and leave the rest to them.Happy Anniversary

Your stories of roses brought back some very happy memories for me. When we first married my husband sent me roses one day. On a whim I counted them & there were only 11. When he got home, knowing me well, he asked if I'd counted the roses, I said yes & wondered why there were only 11. He then walked over to our cassette tape player & played a song he had recorded from the radio. It was a country song about a guy who had broke up with his wife & then sent her roses, he told her to take the roses & stand in front of the mirror & the 12th rose would be looking back at her. From that day on whenever he sent me roses there were always only 11.

He passed away last year, the night before our 32nd anniversary & I sure do miss him.

Karen

DW and I married 31 years ago. During the wedding she carried three (3) white roses. So I started giving her three white roses every annaversery. Problem is we married in February and tring to find three white roses in February has become very difficault. Sometimes I have to buy 12 and only take three.

Keep the flowers coming and you will neaver regret it.

hcc

• 2 weeks later...

Deb in Cali.......you say your husband "just doesn't get it" when it comes to giving flowers? Send some to him!......Especially at his place of work....my DH (who is now gone) used to give me flowers....but I really surprised him when I had some sent to him one Valentine's Day at his place of employment....he received lots of comments from his fellow males at work ...all positive. Maybe if you start it..he "will get it" and send some to you on important days.......

My step son sent me a lovely bouquet on the first Valentine's day after my DH died just because he knew that his Dad always did that for me....really nice touching thing to do...

Luckily my husband gets it icon7.gif What he has done since the first time he bought me roses it that he gets me 13. Why 13 ? Well the average women gets a dozen and I'm not "average". Due to this I then had 13 roses in my wedding bouquet. We're celebrating a belated 10th anniversary on the Zui and renewing our vows.

Archived