Camera in Egypt

Along with numerous memory cards we also take a few batteries......

I am actually thinking about buying a second camera (same one as we own now) and then we each have one..... we love our Sony Cyybershot 12.1 megapixels...... we actually took pics in a jeep in the mountains of Turkey on basically a goat trail.....and they came out clear as a bell. It has a wonderful movement feature that takes all the jiggle out.

We did this with our underwater cameras......we bought one and got one for a Christmas present so we have two.

We brought 2 cameras: a little digital point & shoot, and a nicer digital with a bigger zoom lens. They use the exact same memory card type, so I just brought several extra cards that we could use as needed. It worked great the day I forgot to bring my extra batteries from the hotel - we at least had one working camera. The only negative is that Dave & I ended up duplicating photos LOL!

Wow, I better have a great memory, I guess, as it seems you can't take pictures in Egypt :eek:

I can understand no pictures in the museum or inside of any stucture (such as tombs etc.) as it could harm items (mummies, pictures on the walls etc.)

But to not be able to take pics outside......such as the Valley of the Kings is ???? for me.

We weren't allowed to bring our cameras into Valley of the Kings, so we bought picture postcards. We read an interview with Dr. Hawass where he stated he banned cameras because of so much abuse: originally they were allowed, just no flash, but tourists were giving the guards $ to turn a blind eye, and the flash over time destroys the colors. So then they banned all cameras in the tombs. But again, the policy was abused: people would take pictures outside the tombs, and then use them inside the tombs. So now they are totally banned.

What about Abu Simbel ? Or other sites ? Sakkara, Temple of Horus, Temple of Philae? There are a ton more we will be visiting .......

No problem at ANY of the temples, and outside of Abu Simbel. You can't take pix inside Abu simbel but they sell a great photo book of it. And if you stand in the doorway you can shoot INTO the 2 temples.

I will definately depend on our guide for "guidance" (no pun intended) but would like to have a good idea of what we can and can't photograph before we go. One of favorite things is to re-visit our pictures :o

We took so many pictures at the various temples!

Again, thanks guys for the info........ sounds a little better than the picture I had in my head of my camera sitting in the hotel room the whole time :eek: and yes there are those who will always try to bend the rules and then we all suffer. I remember back to the Sistine chapel......click, click, click...............

I too am buying a new camera. Our Sony Cybershot is great. It has a wonderful stabilizing thingy so you can take pics while being literally bounced around while driving etc. and it takes gorgeous pictures, but the zoom is only so-so. Will need to research this a bit...... before I decide. But have one in mind.

no cameras are permitted in the Valley of the King and Queens? since when?

You can't take pictures inside of Abu Simbel? maybe inside the temple but that isn't the picture you want anyway- news to me.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGsi

please note this is the short version only 300 pictures...

also crime is NOT a major issue in Egypt. People are scrupulously honest. There is little street crime and a theft in a museum is almost unheard of...except from your fellow tourists.

I also have pictures from inside a Pyramid and other places as well. I was stopped once from taking a picture in Egypt. In the Sinai near a maneuvering Egyptian Battalion... and what they said was don't take a picture towards the tanks....otherwise ok.

But no pictures inside the Egyptian Museum...I checked my camera and it like thousands of others were returned.

these are a couple of years ago. If Dr. Hawass banned them its because he wants to make money selling things with his name on it. Nothing wrong on taking pictures outside. I follow the rules mostly. There was no colors to hurt inside of the Pyramid I took the pictures of....

... Our Sony Cybershot is great. It has a wonderful stabilizing thingy so you can take pics while being literally bounced around while driving etc. and it takes gorgeous pictures, but the zoom is only so-so. Will need to research this a bit...... before I decide. But have one in mind.

I have an image stabilized canon sx110 10x mechanical zoom but it too has a drawback....only a lcd screen no view window(you know that little thing you can look through and aim)...

If it's true that cameras aren't even allowed into the Valley of the Kings, it must be a very recent change. I'm sure, as others have said, that your guide will know. At any rate, the Valley itself is rather uninspiring, other than the naturally pyramid-shaped rock formation. It's what's inside that's wonderful.

As to cameras: check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-fz35 -- it's got an 18x zoom, viewfinder, and image stabilization and it's fairly lightweight. Not a supercompact by any stretch, but the zoom makes it worthwhile. Supposed to be one of the best superzoom P&S cameras for travel.

Some of this is simply untrue.

You can take pictures in the Valley of the Kings or Queens OUTSIDE of the tombs. However, they are dead (get it?) serious about no pictures inside.

You can take pictures inside the solar boat museum as long as you do not use a flash. I was able to get some excellent photos as there is plenty of light in the modern, well-designed building. (Looks a bit out of place on the outside, but beautiful on the inside.)

I was just in Egypt in March/April 2010. No cameras in the Valley of the Kings & Queens. Sadly, this is because so many people were sneaking pictures inside the tombs, they banned cameras all together. I was very disappointed that I could only take a picture outside the visitors center at both locations.

You can take pictures at the Awsan High Dam but you cannot use telephoto lens or video cameras at that location for security reasons.

We had no restrictions on cameras at Philae, Kombo Ombo, Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Temple of Horus, Colossi of Memnon and the Temple of Hatshepsut.

You can not take pictures inside the two temples at Abu Simbel, outside the temples no issues. Same with the Pyraminds.

Any guide will remind you of these restrictions. Sadly there were people sneaking pictures where they shouldn't be flash or not.

They were talking about major restrictions on access to the Pyramids after this Summer while we were there because they are concerned about how they are deteriorating with all the pollution and traffic.

I was just in Egypt in March/April 2010. No cameras in the Valley of the Kings & Queens. Sadly, this is because so many people were sneaking pictures inside the tombs, they banned cameras all together. I was very disappointed that I could only take a picture outside the visitors center at both locations.

You can take pictures at the Awsan High Dam but you cannot use telephoto lens or video cameras at that location for security reasons.

We had no restrictions on cameras at Philae, Kombo Ombo, Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Temple of Horus, Colossi of Memnon and the Temple of Hatshepsut.

You can not take pictures inside the two temples at Abu Simbel, outside the temples no issues. Same with the Pyraminds.

Any guide will remind you of these restrictions. Sadly there were people sneaking pictures where they shouldn't be flash or not.

They were talking about major restrictions on access to the Pyramids after this Summer while we were there because they are concerned about how they are deteriorating with all the pollution and traffic.

Thanks for the updated info on the Valley of the Kings. I will be headed back there in November; good thing I got a few (!!!) shots of the valley last time. It is a shame that people cannot follow rules. Everyone thinks the rules don't apply to him or her. :(

Our guide last time mentioned that probably half or more of Egypt's monuments are not yet excavated, not because they don't have the money or willingness to uncover them, but because of the high costs of maintaining them once they are exposed to the elements.

I am hoping that we will be taken care of on this photographer's tour

http://www.1worldtours.com/PhotographersEgyptTour.htm

Wow just checked out the photographer's tour that you'll be experiencing. It looks absolutely amazing. As a beginner photographer, I would love this great "classroom" to learn!!!

I hope you'll indulge us and share your photos after the trip!

OK. Bought another camera. Was at Target and walked by the camera display. Found another Sony Cybershot - new model. $249.99

Has 14.1 megapixels - 10X zoom - image stabilizer - video in HD AND get this..... it will take panoramic pictures. Both left to right and up and down.

I played with it in the store for 1/2 hr....... You push the button and slowly pan.......it goes off automatically when it has reached capacity for that panoramic picture. Then it stores the whole pic and you can view in the screen.

I thought it would be amazing for Egypt. Not only for pano pics of pyramids etc. but also to get in all those "tall" items like obelisks, pyramids, etc etc.

It is so small and light weight. Pocket size. I just can't stand the idea of hauling around a big camera. Our other Cybershot takes gorgeous pictures so know I chose wisely !

so now dh and I each have our own Cybershot for land pics and we each have a Samsung underwater for Red Sea - all small cameras.

OK. Bought another camera. Was at Target and walked by the camera display. Found another Sony Cybershot - new model. $249.99

Has 14.1 megapixels - 10X zoom - image stabilizer - video in HD AND get this..... it will take panoramic pictures. Both left to right and up and down.

I played with it in the store for 1/2 hr....... You push the button and slowly pan.......it goes off automatically when it has reached capacity for that panoramic picture. Then it stores the whole pic and you can view in the screen.

I thought it would be amazing for Egypt. Not only for pano pics of pyramids etc. but also to get in all those "tall" items like obelisks, pyramids, etc etc.

It is so small and light weight. Pocket size. I just can't stand the idea of hauling around a big camera. Our other Cybershot takes gorgeous pictures so know I chose wisely !

so now dh and I each have our own Cybershot for land pics and we each have a Samsung underwater for Red Sea - all small cameras.

Sony definitely has a good thing going with the panoramic view feature. I looked at a larger Sony (more equivalent to my Panasonic) that had the same thing. Ultimately I went with the Panasonic because it has several other things I wanted and it uses SD cards, while the Sony uses a memory stick.

I'd love to be able to use a smaller camera, but I really need to have a viewfinder. :( Most of the compacts only give you the LCD screen. (Those LCD screens can be hard to see in the blinding sun in Egypt!)

Very strict about pictures in the museum, I had my camera with me and just didn't take in pictures, I guess no one noticed I had one but I wasn't with a tour group. I would keep your camera with you and if they ask to store it for you until you come out it is no big deal, nothing will happen to it, tourist are a very big deal to that country, in places like the museum and the tombs in Luxor they take very good care of the tourist. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the tombs, and I did see a area they were holding peoples cameras after you came out of the reception area, but there again I just walked through with my camera and no one noticed, just don't take pictures inside the tomb you will be caught! Brings back such good memories :)

Archived