Renfe AVE Train From Barcelona to Madrid

dcinmb

It was mentioned on another thread that there are no porters at the Barcelona Sants station. My parents, who are in their 70s/80s, will be taking the AVE train from Barcelona to Madrid this September and I'm concerned that they may have some issues getting their larger suitcases onto the train. (They'll be traveling for three weeks---including a 12-day cruise---so each will have a small carry-on and an 18" x 27" [46 cm x 69 cm] suitcase.) I've read that the station has attendants for disabled passengers but this doesn't really apply to my parents, who are perfectly mobile. Does anyone know if it's acceptable for elderly non-disabled people to ask these attendants for assistance with their luggage? My parents will have no problems getting their suitcases to the train but they may need some help getting them up the steps.

Also, their two larger suitcases will need to be left in the luggage compartment at the end of the car. How early should my parents plan on boarding in order to secure space in this compartment? And as this luggage will be unattended, has anyone heard of issues with suitcases being stolen? Would it make any difference if my parents bought Preferente tickets instead of Turista?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

~dcinmb

It was mentioned on another thread that there are no porters at the Barcelona Sants station. My parents, who are in their 70s/80s, will be taking the AVE train from Barcelona to Madrid this September and I'm concerned that they may have some issues getting their larger suitcases onto the train. (They'll be traveling for three weeks---including a 12-day cruise---so each will have a small carry-on and an 18" x 27" [46 cm x 69 cm] suitcase.) I've read that the station has attendants for disabled passengers but this doesn't really apply to my parents, who are perfectly mobile. Does anyone know if it's acceptable for elderly non-disabled people to ask these attendants for assistance with their luggage? My parents will have no problems getting their suitcases to the train but they may need some help getting them up the steps.

Also, their two larger suitcases will need to be left in the luggage compartment at the end of the car. How early should my parents plan on boarding in order to secure space in this compartment? And as this luggage will be unattended, has anyone heard of issues with suitcases being stolen? Would it make any difference if my parents bought Preferente tickets instead of Turista?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

~dcinmb

If my memory serves me right access to the train is at the same level as the platform. Bags are usually stored closed to the door trains, what I usually do is take a look at the bags every so often and stay close to them on any stops, on this AVE route I think there are about 3 stops.

There is no need for first class.

Enjoy!!!!

Dear friends:

Your parents shouldn't have any trouble. There are luggage carts available at the station.

Train attendants stand outside every two cars or so upon boarding, and if they see your parents need help stepping up to the train or lifting up their bags, I'm sure they will assist.

Also, in the major train stations such as Madrid and Barcelona, Renfe has a service point called "ATENDO". This is set up to help handicapped people, elderly people who need assistance, etc. If your parents feel overwhelmed with their luggage at the station, tell them to seek out this service when they get to the hall of the station.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks, jotabecu and Gunther & Uta! Fortunately, my parents are in pretty good shape so they won't need assistance wheeling their luggage to the platform or ascending the train steps. It's just the hoisting of their larger suitcases up the steps that will likely be challenging for them. I'll make sure they get to the station early so that they'll have plenty of time to get on board and get situated.

~dcinmb

Archived