New to NCL-Sailing Spirit-Few Questions

supermom123

My first post here. I've gotten so much great information from CC boards. Thanks!

We'll be sailing the Spirit in April/May 2011 out of New Orleans. We are new to NCL, but have sailed once on Carnival and once on Princess. The price is great, and now there's the free balcony upgrade. I love the "extra" port compared to Carnival out of New Orleans at the same time. And, the freestyle cruising sounds great.

So, I'm wondering what do I need to know about the Spirit? The upgrade is to BD category, but am I better off in BA on a higher deck? Any suggestions?

Do I need to purchase a Spa pass for access to the Spa, and how is the Spa? Is there a Thermal pool? Is it co-ed or single sex? Anyone know the cost for a 7 day cruise?

I'm looking forward to all of the speciality restaurants. I saw mention of a 2 for 1 special at the Bistro, do any other restaurants offer special deals? Is sushi available at the Shogun for the cover charge, or is it only a la carte at the sushi bar.

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks so much for all the great advice. Looking forward to my first NCL cruise.

My first post here. I've gotten so much great information from CC boards. Thanks!

We'll be sailing the Spirit in April/May 2011 out of New Orleans. We are new to NCL, but have sailed once on Carnival and once on Princess. The price is great, and now there's the free balcony upgrade. I love the "extra" port compared to Carnival out of New Orleans at the same time. And, the freestyle cruising sounds great.

So, I'm wondering what do I need to know about the Spirit? The upgrade is to BD category, but am I better off in BA on a higher deck? Any suggestions?

Do I need to purchase a Spa pass for access to the Spa, and how is the Spa? Is there a Thermal pool? Is it co-ed or single sex? Anyone know the cost for a 7 day cruise?

I'm looking forward to all of the speciality restaurants. I saw mention of a 2 for 1 special at the Bistro, do any other restaurants offer special deals? Is sushi available at the Shogun for the cover charge, or is it only a la carte at the sushi bar.

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks so much for all the great advice. Looking forward to my first NCL cruise.

Just about all the balcony cabins on the Spirit are identical, but there are a few exceptions. Two have partial obstructions balcony, and one has a double wide balcony. So, basically, the higher class balcony is just located higher on the ship.

You don't need a pass to enter the spa-gym area to walk around. I believe the gym is open to everyone. You will need reservations for spa treatments. And it is co-ed. Which brings up a small trivial fact, the Asian men spa area is now the American women area. Some remodeling had to be done to the spaces to make that possible.

Which restaurants offer 2 for 1 sales depends upon reservations on each cruise. Whichever restaurant has them now doesn't mean will have them in the future. So, don't plan on them.

Sushi is ala carte at the sushi bar.

Hi -

My husband and I just returned home yesterday from the Spirit (7/3-7/9, Boston to Bermuda). It was a wonderful cruise on an older but very comfortable, charming ship with a terrific, friendly staff and crew. We booked this very last-minute for a great price, and stayed in a BD balcony stateroom (#9552, port/forward - a little smaller than what we've booked on other ships before, but very convenient and quiet). The location was perfect - near the stairs and elevator, and a few decks below the gym/spa area, library, and the main pool. Our room stewards Bridgette and Raebern were great, too!

As the previous poster stated, there are no spa passes on the Spirit (unlike the Gem we sailed on to the Med. last summer - I loved the spa pass!), but the steam room is pretty deserted late in the day. I never shared it with anyone the entire week!

Enjoy your trip!:)

Archived