Question about passports

sapphire_407

We are stopping in Nassau and HMC. We ave passports, should we take them off the ship with us or can I leave them in the safe?

We usually do not take our passports off the ship, but I do make a copy of the info page and fold it up and put it in my pack I take on excursions...the last thing I need is to lose a passport while I'm trying to do the zipline or something...:o

We usually do not take our passports off the ship, but I do make a copy of the info page and fold it up and put it in my pack I take on excursions...the last thing I need is to lose a passport while I'm trying to do the zipline or something...:o

A copy does you no good for re-entry.

Does anyone know why the passport must be valid for 6 months after you return?

Our kids passports expire next June 2011 and we are taking them on their Disney cruise in April. Why does it have an expire date if that date does not count? If we need to use the passport for air travel, it is still within the expire date.

Can I bring them with their school ID, drivers license, and birth certificates? The kids don't have any other international travel plans and I don't want to spend to renew for a closed loop cruise.

Would they still let them board?

Our kids passports expire next June 2011 and we are taking them on their Disney cruise in April. Why does it have an expire date if that date does not count? If we need to use the passport for air travel, it is still within the expire date.

Can I bring them with their school ID, drivers license, and birth certificates? The kids don't have any other international travel plans and I don't want to spend to renew for a closed loop cruise.

Would they still let them board?

If you are on a closed loop cruise and they are under 16 then you just need their birth certificate. If they are 16 or older then you need their birth certificate and government issued photo ID (drivers license/school ID).

I would have one under and one over 18. I still wanted to know why the passport has an expire date that they don't go by.

I will still bring the other docs on the safe side.

I still had the questions about why it still has to be valid for 6 months after your return? Is this for laws that might be broken, so they can cart you back to the country? Let's see you don't have a valid passport, sorry you can't go to jail in another country?

It would not take months to get back to the home port if you were flying from Mexico to California. So the passport is still not expired. Does anyone have the explanation on the 6 month rule?

AFAIK, this is NOT a US requirement. The US will allow you to use a passport that expires the day you return, or at least the day after you return.

However, some foreign countries require that, when entering their country, your passport has at least six months left. This is to avoid problems, should your stay be extended, either voluntarily or otherwise.

OTOH, I've been wrong before...

Paul

After searching the web, I was able to find these statements.

Some countries have a strict 6-month validity rule in place. If your passport expires within 6 months of your date of arrival you will be turned away at immigration, if not before at your departure airport. These include: Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, UAE, Brazil, Ecuador, Indonesia, Israel, Malaysia, Paraguay, Tunisia, Romania, Singapore and surprisingly, Belgium.

Other countries enforce a 3-month rule. These include: Cambodia, Denmark, Fiji, Switzerland, South Africa, New Zealand, Croatia and Estonia

Many countries however require only a valid passport for the duration of your stay. Among these are: Kenya, Tanzania, France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, UK and USA.

There are some exceptions: EU citizens only ever need a valid passport, regardless of date, to travel in other EU countries. US citizens need only a driving license or valid passport to enter Canada, Mexico, Bahamas and any US overseas territories such as Puerto Rico.

For any other nationalities: rather than risk traveling with a passport that will expire in 6 months or less, you are strongly advised to get your passport renewed or get an emergency passport before travel.

Archived