A restaraunt on the edge of the FQ, Manacussos?

MommyMonster

Several years ago we were in New Orleans and we took a carriage ride. The driver told us about a place that had great Muffelatas(SP) and they were wonderful. They also had cheap beer and strawberry margaritas, but I can't remember the name of the place. I know it started with and M and I thought it was something like Mancusos or Manacussos? Does anyone know where I am talking about and if it is still there?

Several years ago we were in New Orleans and we took a carriage ride. The driver told us about a place that had great Muffelatas(SP) and they were wonderful. They also had cheap beer and strawberry margaritas, but I can't remember the name of the place. I know it started with and M and I thought it was something like Mancusos or Manacussos? Does anyone know where I am talking about and if it is still there?

MM,

Could you be thinking of Cafe Maspero on Decatur St.? They're still there and have muffulettas on their menu. :confused:

cafe_maspero.jpg

Jorge

MM,

Could you be thinking of Cafe Maspero on Decatur St.? They're still there and have muffulettas on their menu. :confused:

cafe_maspero.jpg

Jorge

That is it!:D I remember those "shutter" doors!!! Coming back there in November and I wanted to go back, but couldn't remember the name. :rolleyes: It was 2002 or 2003 when we were there. Thanks so much!!!:)

That is it!:D I remember those "shutter" doors!!! Coming back there in November and I wanted to go back, but couldn't remember the name. :rolleyes: It was 2002 or 2003 when we were there. Thanks so much!!!:)

MM,

Glad to be some help. Another option is to walk a couple of blocks on Decatur (just past Lafayette Square and Cafe Du Monde) and buy a muffuletta from Central Grocery. CG is on the same side of Decatur as the Square. After getting your muffuletta just walk across the street to the park and find a bench. You can enjoy a drink and listen to great music while enjoying your leisurely repast.

For our money, Central Grocery's muffulettas are about the best in the city. My DW and I do this a few times a year, especially in the fall when the temperatures are cooler.

Welcome to New Orleans, we love to have you come on down and stay a spell. :D

Jorge

Central Grocery's muffulettas are way better.

Msken,

You and I and most locals will agree that there's no comparison between the two. However, most of our out-of-town guests that post on this board mention Maspero's and Mother's :eek: as a must visit whenever they come to New Orleans. For the most part we (locals) stay away from these two as we know that there are much better options.

With that said, if our visitor friends have a good experience wherever they dine then that's all that's important. :)

Jorge

Going to be in NO in Jan 2011, if there is a better place than Mother's for breakfast - let us know - this will be our second time in NO and we're staying 2 days before and 2 days after our cruise! So if the locals would share some insider info regarding eating and drinking establishments it would be appreciated - thanks!

Going to be in NO in Jan 2011, if there is a better place than Mother's for breakfast - let us know - this will be our second time in NO and we're staying 2 days before and 2 days after our cruise! So if the locals would share some insider info regarding eating and drinking establishments it would be appreciated - thanks!

Hi bahama-momma,

If you check the Gulf Coast Departures forum you'll find a sticky from Sargent_Schultz that shows "the best of" in New Orleans as voted by local readership. This will give you an idea of best restaurants, night clubs, etc.

We are blessed that we have more restaurants open now than before Hurricane Katrina. Mother's does a good job with breakfast but as you'll be staying 4 days here, you'll have plenty of time to check out some different eateries that are listed. Who knows; you may find another "favorite". :D

I hope this helps. In any case, we welcome you again and hope you have a wonderful stay with us.

Jorge

for the info, will check it out - we really enjoyed our first visit, just didn't stay long enough, so this time there's only two of us returning but we're making up for not seeing enough last time:D

b-m,

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoy visiting. New Orleans is a city like no other in the US. Should you need more info just say the word.

Jorge

MM,

Glad to be some help. Another option is to walk a couple of blocks on Decatur (just past Lafayette Square and Cafe Du Monde) and buy a muffuletta from Central Grocery. CG is on the same side of Decatur as the Square. After getting your muffuletta just walk across the street to the park and find a bench. You can enjoy a drink and listen to great music while enjoying your leisurely repast.

For our money, Central Grocery's muffulettas are about the best in the city. My DW and I do this a few times a year, especially in the fall when the temperatures are cooler.

Welcome to New Orleans, we love to have you come on down and stay a spell. :D

Jorge

We are definitely coming down a little early, too many things to eat before I get on the boat. We will definitely have to try out Central Grocery. To be honest, I prefer to go where the locals go, it is usually better!! Can't wait to try it out! Will also check out the post it from sgt schultz!

A couple of other breakfast options that is NOT as expensive as Mother's, and not far from there, either.

Try the Commerce Cafe in the 300 Block of Camp Street, and Fredricks in the 300 Block of St. Charles. Both are plain, small restaurants without the touristy feel of Mothers (and much lower prices). Both serve fantastic po-boys, with the Commerce also serving plate lunches.

A couple of other breakfast options that is NOT as expensive as Mother's, and not far from there, either.

Try the Commerce Cafe in the 300 Block of Camp Street, and Fredricks in the 300 Block of St. Charles. Both are plain, small restaurants without the touristy feel of Mothers (and much lower prices). Both serve fantastic po-boys, with the Commerce also serving plate lunches.

Thanks, I will add these to the places to try out too!

Archived