Our day in St Maarten

trbutler

We just returned from the AOS and wanted to share our experience in St Maarten. We had a blast. We were planning on taking the water taxi, but due to rough waters they were not running. So we took the land taxi - $3 pp to downtown. We headed directly to the beach and down at the square make a right and the first place is Pirates in Paradise. For $10 we got two chairs, umbrella and 1 drink per person. They were very nice chairs and they even had a small table in between to keep your drinks. This was something I didn't see from the other places. They also had buckets of beer for $10 (6 beers). Later in the day we rented jet skis and that was a blast (though I was sore for 2 days due to my husbands driving.) This beach was very nice and clean.

After about 4 hours on the beach we headed into town to buy some liquor - we went to lucky too and they had GREAT prices a 1.75liter bottle of crown royal was only $25. But, they will lie to you and tell you that you can bring up to 5 bottles per person. It is 1 liter person from the other islands and 4 from St Thomas duty free. We then continued down to the Guavaberry Emporium and got a few bottles of Guavaberry.

Hope this information helps everyone.

• 1 year later...

We will definitely visit Pirates in Paradise. We use to go to Everyting Cool but it's gone but not forgotten. Pirates sounds like a great replacement for the other. We love the guavaberry coladas. Bring on the buckets!

Thanks for the info.

Evie

Seamom, not sure where you are from (near a beach) but why would you put a 10 yr old or a 13 yr old on a jet ski alone? Having lived my entire life by the ocean - I know these to be powerful and often dangerous machines. Most places in the US will not allow children (under 18) to operate them and even adults must usually sign a waiver in case of injury. Not sure about in the Caribbean islands but even there I would be surprised if they allow anyone under 16 to operate them.

There are so many fun things to do without taking the chance of one of your kids getting seriously hurt ...... please have an adult with them for safety sake !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
After about 4 hours on the beach we headed into town to buy some liquor - we went to lucky too and they had GREAT prices a 1.75liter bottle of crown royal was only $25. But, they will lie to you and tell you that you can bring up to 5 bottles per person. It is 1 liter person from the other islands and 4 from St Thomas duty free. We then continued down to the Guavaberry Emporium and got a few bottles of Guavaberry.

Hope this information helps everyone.

Now I am confused - Iread the following somewhere

Duty-Free Allowance: Ship itineraries that include any of the U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John.

$1200 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

Note: of the $1200, no more than $600 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board.

5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

5 cartons of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes each (18 years or older). Note: 4 cartons of cigarettes must be purchased in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older). Isn't that different?

My suggestion - just ignore the "duty free" limits on liquor. Bring back whatever you want and just pay any duty IF IT IS EVEN CHARGED. My limit is the amount I want to lug thru customs, the airport and onto the plane. Get more than 8 liters and you need to get a goat to carry it.

On MANY trips, I buy and declare 8 liters of liquor, none of which is from the U.S. Virgin Islands, and to date I have never been charged a duty. Hey, with the extremely low prices at St. Maarten, any duty would be pennies. One liter of Absolute for $5.50 is a true savings.

From what I have observed, customs is not looking for liquor, but maybe drugs and weapons of mass distraction.

Archived