Questions about setting up an onboard account

Leaving in 8 days. We'll be on the Jewel. It will be 2 adults, 1 10-year old and 1 10-month old.

I've only been on one other cruise and that was on the Princess cruise line about 3 years ago. On that cruise I had to set up my onboard account when I was on ship. I was using cash. Since it was a 9 day cruise I had to put either $500 or $600 to start.

This will be my first cruise with NCL so I have some questions concerning setting up the onboard account. Do you set it up at the pier or when you get onboard?

I just called and pre-paid my gratuities. I now people say it is easier to use a credit card, but I prefer using cash. If I use a credit card I will spend more freely. I spend a little more wisely when I use cash. How much cash will I need to set up the onboard account?

If there is more than one adult in a cabin, is it set up as a separate onboard account or just one account per cabin?

Is there a way to set up a separate onboard account for each person in your cabin? Can I set up an onboard account for my 10-year old nephew so he would have a set amount of money to use in the arcade? We will be with him when he's in the arcade, but we want him to be responsible for how he spends his money.

Thanks for any info.

I'll answer only the part that I know about, okay? I have no experience using cash, so my statement will reflect use of a credit card.

My adult daughter sometimes travels with me and likes to have her own account since it gets kind of complicated sometimes who used the room key/card for what. So we ask for it, and get it, on any cruise line. This is done at the pier when you check in and do your paper work and get your key card.

The final bill (and any printout you ask for during the week) will show the individual names and what charges have been put on that card, including the daily service charge.

If no one on cruise critic can answer from experience, please call NCL customer service, or if you used a travel agent, have him/her check this. I think can read between the lines that this is causing you some anxiety, so I hope you find an answer soon.

I always use cash, so I can help you out. You set up your account at the pier when you check in. You can set them up seperately for the people in your room, or they can all be on the same account. Just tell them how you want to do it when you check in. My boyfriend and I share the same account, then if we decide to split it afterwards, we check our statement and it says who charged what. I don't know if there is a minimum amount needed to set it up -- We've always just done $500 for the week, and if it runs out, I add more to it. And I agree with you on the cash v.s. credit card thing. I tend to watch what I spend more if I put down a cash deposit v.s. when I use a credit card. Have fun! I'll be on the Jewel in a few weeks, and am definitely looking forward to it.

Archived