Bush Airport to Port of Galvastion--How Long??

Cruisemaiden

:D Greetings Cruise Lovers!!

Can anyone tell me how long of a drive it is from the Bush Intercontintal Airport to the Port of Galvaston? We are sailing on the Carnival Elation on April 17 at 4pm and our airline arrives at the airport at 12:25pm. I am a bit concerned about the time frame and getting to the pier on time. Carnival TP says to have our flight arrive before 12:30 and I am cutting it a bit close...I am probably worried for nothing and have plenty of time...but....would not want to miss the ship! I suppose there is always that chance...if the airline really had a mess up....but I am hopeful things will go smoothly...

Thanks for any help!

It all depends on Houston traffic, but I would think it's usually about 1 hour 30 minutes -- maybe 2 hours. I wouldn't be concerned unless the flight is late. And if the cruise line didn't make your travel arrangements, you may be on your own to figure out how to get to the ship's next port if you miss it. That's why, even tho we can easily drive to Galveston in a morning, we still go a day early. My parents missed 3 days of a 7 day cruise once due to a late flight.

You said your flight arrives at 12:25. Is your flight arranged through the cruise line? Ok, here goes, Figure 45 min. to get off the plane, secure baggage and get out of the airport. That will put you on the road about 1:10-1:20. IAH is not very close to I-45 so it will take 10-15 min. to get on I-45S. That puts the time around 1:35-1:40. It will take about 1 1/2-2 hours to drive to Galveston. You can count on a delay of 5-10 min. when you reach I-45S and the Dixie Rd. crossover. This stretch of the freeway is well south of Houston, about 40 min. from Galveston. If we use the 1 1/2 drive time, this will put you into Galveston around 3:00pm providing there are no other delays, remember this, if the weather is nice, people living in the area head to Galveston. Now there might be another problem, Sometime in late March or early April is "Beach Weekend" if this activity is on April 17, you will never make the ship. Traffic will be backed up 15-20 miles from Galveston. I would check Galveston.com or call the Chamber of Commerce in Galveston to find out. I have lived in Houston all my life and we stay away when that activity is taking place. You might be well served to come the day before. On a Sunday afternoon, traffic can be a real headache:(

Thank you for all the information Dannymac!! No, I did not book the flight with the cruiseline. I booked thru Cheeptickets. I think it will be a huge pain in the behind to make a change at this point....not to mention expensive...but I am not sure...I have never booked thru cheeptickets...

Now I am going to be parinoid.....has anyone had any experinece changing their flight itinary with cheeptickets? Or...any clue what the easiest way would be to fly in to Galvaston on April 16 instead of the 17th?

CruiseMaiden, don't want to alarm you, but it would be wise to look into coming early or at the very least check with Galveston to find out what events are taking place the weekend of your cruise. It would be a real bummer to miss the ship. Can you fly into Houston Hobby? This airport is much closer to Galveston, about an hours drive and five min. from the freeway.

I agree with the above! Kappa Beach weekend is the weekend from h*ll!!! We never go anywhere near Galveston that time of year! They actually block off streets and charge to get on the seawall (I think) or there is a charge for something. Alot of shops close down because of the headache. You really do need to stay in a hotel far from there and when going to the port take the first exit (Harborside Dr.) after the bridge to avoid the traffic on Broadway. If April 17th is a weekend traffic will be a nightmare going into Galveston but not so bad around the Bush airport area.

Cruisemaiden, Did a little checking today, previous posts have it correct. April 15,16,17 is "Beach Party Weekend" in Galveston. Traffic on Sat. & Sun. will be a nightmare. With your timeline, you will not make the departure time of your ship. Suggest you come a day or two early, and plan on getting to Galveston early am. If you arrive later than 9:00am it is a good bet the traffic will already start to back up. If anyone else reads this post, take notice and be ready to change your arrival schedule.

Thank you all for the information!!! Just my luck the Beach Party is that weekend....

I did move my flight...cost me $550 to do it....I will be coming into the Airport at 10:00am on the 17th, so....come hell or high water...I plan on makeing the ship.

We are taking the Carnival bus transfer so I am hoping the bus driver is privy to the Beach party and has a way to get us to the port in plenty of time....I was hoping to take a nap before we sail...LOL

It is going to have to do....but I am confidant things will go well.

Archived