New To Costa

sema4

I have been a faithful cruiser of Princess Cruise Lines and I do love them. However, My wife and I are planning a Med Cruise for our 10th anniversary in June of 06. Princess's itinerary just doesn't do it for us. Costa has the ports we would like to hit.Has anyone been on Princess and Costa and how if so, do they compare? I also have heard of MSC cruise lines which also have good ports of call but I have heard some negatives about them. I am very aware that opinions do vary between different people,so that is why I am asking people that have sailed on Princess before for thier opinion. Anyone that has sailed on MSC and Princess,your opinion is also welcomed

Thanks,

Patrick

I sailed with Princess only once about 15 years ago and had an OK experience.

As for Costa, I sailed them often prior to the Carnival buyout and felt that they offered a nice product with an Italian flair. As I not a fan of Carnival, I have not chosen to sail them since then. The reviews have declined since the takeover as well. Joe Farcus has designed their new ships and, if they look anything like Carnival's new ships (or old ones for that matter) I would not enjoy the decor.

If you book them in the Med, stay away from the Tropicale, as that is a very old Carnival tank. the Fortuna and the Magica are at least new ships. Since Costa is well known in Europe, I would guess the passengers would be mostly European, which is great except for the smoking.

I have been doing a lot of reseach on Med cruises for myself and MSC is one of the lines I am considering. I like that fact that their ships are smaller (my past cruises in the Med have been on Radisson and Star Clippers) and that the ambiance is European.

The Med is my favorite area to cruise. If you can afford a balcony, it is a great place to have one.

I have sailed on Costa in Europe 2 times and Holland America once. I preferred the Costa experience. When I go to Europe I go to be in Europe and on the Costa cruises I felt like I was there, both on land on the ship. Plus the prices were very good.

As for the ships, they are very nice. I have to disagree with the other comment. Elegant looking. I have also been on carnival ships new and old and the Costa ships are not at all the same. They are very rich and have a Europe feel in the decor. They are elegant looking with a lot of artwork. btw - Princess is part of carnival too.

I have not been on MSC, but I have heard some not so great things about them. I personally am more comfortable on Costa with years of experioence than a start up. MSC sounds to me like container ships.

we were on the new year cruise of the diamond princess ( sailed on the 29th dec from lax) we also took a a cruise on the Costa Atlantica 2 years ago

we really enjed both cruises.

obviously some difference for instance we found the Diamond princess style more elegant ( the atlantica is somehow too flashing) Costa Atalatica had better shops

I would wait on the MSC line, too new with lots of kinks to work out. However, Costa IS the #1 cruiseline in Europe and I do not hesitate to book clients on them, the biggest complaints I hear are usually regarding the European passengers. Be it the smoking issue or rudeness etc. The ships are absolutely beautiful full of lots of imported marble and granite, fine art and glasswork. THis is not what you think of as a Carnival fun ship. THey are very elegant. Service is wonderful and food for a cruiseship is top notch. Do not hestitate to book on Costa, if the ports are what you are looking for. I dont think you will be disapointed. They have been rated#1 for a reason! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. My website is in my signature.

We sailed the Med on Costa Atlantica in July 2003 (my review is still on their list under s.hynes) and I would go again in a heartbeat!!!!!

Initially after we had booked it and after having read some of the boards we really did wonder if we had made a BIG mistake, especially when we read about the smoking (i have a heart condition and really cant cope well with a smokey atmosphere) also how tacky the decor was and I dont do tacky, so the boards really had me worried. There is an old saying that you should not believe everything that you read and I can assure you the reports I read could not have been farther from the truth.

For tacky read WOW factor the ship is absolutely stunning with Murano glass and Carrera marble, to stand in the atrium and look up on it all is simply stunning.

Smoking was never a problem , the majority of public rooms including dining rooms are non smoking.

The sail down the grand canal will remain with me for ever, even although we go to Europe regularly and have visited Venice on a few occasions, Nothing but Nothing matches that ship sailing past the Doges palace and St Marks square. Plus the fact because the ship is primarily filled with Europeans you really do feel you are in Europe, and its fun trying to guess what their conversations are when you are next to them in line.

So my advise is check their website, and the reviews and if you do decide to try them I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Saluti !

We have sailed both Costa and Princess.

We sailed the Costa Romantica first. loved the food, service hated the ship, too bland and had a old feeling to it (just my opinion). Then we sailed a back to back on the Dawn Princess and loved the ship but wasn't overly impressed with the food and service. We went back to Costa this year on a back to back on the Atlantica just before Christmas. What a perfect cruise vacation. Everything as far as I am concerned was 100% from the service, food, stewards, cabin and ship, embarkation/disembarkation and ports. We too picked Costa for the itinerary, we wanted to visit places we had been to prior to children so we could give our boys their first cruise just the way we wanted it. We booked a Panoramic Suite so as to have the extra room for the 4 of us and both our steward and butler were superb. The perks that come with the suite were worth the extra money, priority embarkation is great, straight on the ship past all the lines of people waiting for customs, baggage check and immigration. Can't tell you anything about Costa tours as after our first cruise, we learn't that we can see more of each place and much cheaper if we arrange it ourself. Just a tip - Try to get a table on the 3rd floor and ask to be close to the balcony as they do various shows throughout the week and this is a great spot to see them all. Have a gerat time - and enjoy. I know everyone has a different opinion about everything but if you fancy a cruise with high quality cooked and served european style food, you'll have a great time and the ship is beautiful.

Archived