Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

thanks! I have gone a little crazy shopping, but decided to splurge for this trip since its my birthday! now to pack...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

None of us on here ever go crazy cruise shopping!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, have a wonderful birthday and a great first cruise!

I agree with you, white would be ok but I am probably going with nude or brown sandels. If I had gold that would be ok but I'm not going to buy a pair just for this dress.

I only have black and silver heels. My dress has some gold in a shoulder embellishment, so I am leaning that way. I like a lot of the brown sandals I see and would probably get more wear out of them. Oh, decisions.

I like them all. I love the shape of the full skirted one. I am having a terrible urge to have something that looks like a ball gown with a full skirt. Cunard has a special evening for those taking the full world voyage at one of the ports with a big banquet and dancing (which I can't do but like to watch). Bigwigs from the company fly in and the food and drink is supposed to be amazing. I like my formal wear but none of it has pizzazz for this evening. I think it is the six year old still alive in me who loved to play dress up in a full skirted swirly dress.

The model in the picture carries off the look but she is likely close to six feet tall. Do you think it is possible for a short (5'1" - I've shrunk from 5'2") fluffy woman to pull off a long, full skirted dress?

Edited by Scrapnana

The model in the picture carries off the look but she is likely close to six feet tall. Do you think it is possible for a short (5'1" - I've shrunk from 5'2") fluffy woman to pull off a long, full skirted dress?

The model in the flowy dress, bottom left, does not look tht tall to me when compared to the other photos. Since the bodice is fitted I think your 5'1" frame would be fine! :D

I like them all. I love the shape of the full skirted one. I am having a terrible urge to have something that looks like a ball gown with a full skirt. Cunard has a special evening for those taking the full world voyage at one of the ports with a big banquet and dancing (which I can't do but like to watch). Bigwigs from the company fly in and the food and drink is supposed to be amazing. I like my formal wear but none of it has pizzazz for this evening. I think it is the six year old still alive in me who loved to play dress up in a full skirted swirly dress.

-------------------

I bought my black dress because when I walk in there are panels that kick out and I loved the swirling effect lol :-) I even had my hubby film me walking and twirling in the dress because I loved the swirl so much lol

Cathie

Hello beautiful ladies!

I've been following your forum for a while, but haven't posted because I didn't have anything on the computer. I haven't tried this before so we'll see if it works!

We also love to get really dressed up for formal night. I really like bling, and the stores in our area that carry anything resembling formal wear are really limited in anything beyond a size 14. I started out pretty bland, but then discovered online shopping!

I have found several sites that will custom make almost anything on their sites to my exact measurements and in the color I choose. Yes, they are from China. I have communicated with several of them and they have been really glad to have my business. (Their written English isn't always very clear, but if I had to write in Mandarin, I guess I wouldn't do very well either!;) I know that not everyone is comfortable doing business online. I will say that two of these sites are run very much like e-bay. There are many small (often home run) businesses. You do have to check their rating and reviews, they can vary a great deal. Most dresses can be custom ordered, YOU MUST measure accurately, or have your tailor or seamstress measure you. I always give them extra measurements (I have "ample" upper arms and "the girls" are quite healthy too.) I have only had to do some minor alterations on my orders. Be aware that their "standard sizes" are probably different from what you are used to, so supply your measurements if possible. Also be aware that returning items isn't always easy and postage will be involved. I always do a search for items with free shipping, so delivery TO the US is not usually a problem.Where else can you get a custom made floor length fully sequined gown, delivered for under $140.00!

Most items I ordered have made and shipped within three weeks. Read each site and leave messages to find out BEFORE you place the order. Be a good consumer and read the descriptions and ordering directions. Once in a great while, those will be in Chinese - I don't order from those sites.

I'm finally posting this because one of the sites has a really big sale going on today - the prices usually are good for a couple of days at aliexpress.com. Aliexpress is actually partly owned by Yahoo. Like e-bay, they carry just about anything you might want to order in just about any category.

I've also used DHgate.com for one dress and have had a good experience there as well.

AGAIN - I am NOT telling you you should use them, I'm just letting you know that there are other options out there.

Here are a few of my formal photos. All of the sequin dresses were from Aliexpress. The blue sleeveless one-shouldered dress is a Calvin Kline, on the clearance rack for $39.99! I also tacked on a couple of our casual poses to show what we might wear at night on the ship's. Yes, we also did the "baby jesus" poses. OUCH! We call the our "Geezer Yoga" shots. We're just getting too old to do some of those poses! (But those sittings ARE the most fun!)

Blue-Formal1.jpg.fb8896e2b9b9aac4723cbd16dd9abad6.jpg

Green-Formal-Pair1.jpg.f8abe3d60c258fe729b91a04c9092cf8.jpg

M-GRed-Black1.jpg.22284f73c5c469ca77832fc24455b72f.jpg

M-GBlueStairs1.jpg.06e06c9864d09cc6dde65a3121e0561d.jpg

Casual1.jpg.ed5d65878804cc9eddb7cf9887483856.jpg

M-GWhite1.jpg.2c5e60108cf7f1617f7f54bf4fe51300.jpg

Gojirart

Thank you so much for pointing us to the the aliexpress site. I have never seen such a variety of styles.

Some of the ebay sites have a boring sameness to their designs with an overabundance of strapless styles.

I particularly noticed the wide choice of gowns with sleeves for those of us who want something more modest.