Which cruise should I take: Gem or Jewel out of NY

Hi everyone. Planning a cruise for July of 2011 for 2 adults, one 11 year old and one 22 month old.

We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel. If I book that cruise again, we would just do different excursions. The price for the Jewel cruise is less than the one on the Gem.

Which ship is considered a nicer ship or which ship has more things to do? The Nickelodeon part on the Jewel is no big deal. It's good for very young kids, but that's pretty much it. Which ship has a nicer pool area?

Is there a difference in the size of the balcony rooms on the Gem compared to the Jewel?

The Gem is going to Bermuda and the Jewel to Bahamas.

Thanks for the info.

The Jewel was the first of the Jewel class ships and the Gem the last. As a result the Gem is an enhanced version of the Jewel. Room sizes are the same as well as the restaurants, pool area, lounges etc. Atrium is a slightly different shape on the Gem to accommodate the 2 storey video screen. However, the Gem also has a climbing wall and the Bliss lounge featuring 4 bowling lanes. I would suggest that this is the main difference.

Archived