Standard inside deck 5 cabin with grand lobby window

Cape Cod Sally

We always book the least expensive cabin. On QM2 maiden voyage, atrium view cabins were the same price as other inside cabins and we had a choice. We did not pick atrium as we did not know what to expect. On later cruises the price for atrium was increased. I don't know if this is still the case.

On another cruise we received an "upgrade" to the atrium view cabin. Because the bed is rotated away from the window, we feel the room layout is not as comfortable. Someone has to sleep on the "far side" of the bed. They also had to remove the drawer from under the desk and I believe some storage around the bed is lost. In addition you have to be aware that cabins across can see into your cabin. Noise and light were not a concern. We did bring "decorations" for our window, but only people in six atrium cabins opposite could enjoy them. I would not choose an atrium over an inside and I would not pay more.

Two of the three times we have been "upgraded" on QM2 it has been to an atrium. There are only twelve atrium cabins, so my guess is that they are not popular.

I sailed in an Atrium cabin in 2007 and was perfectly satisfied. So much so that I booked one again for next month. I always book an outside or balcony cabin on other lines but the price differential was quite large on the QM2 so I decided to give the Atrium a try. It is nice to have the window - gives the illusion of being in an outside cabin. If you tilt the blinds up but open it gives more light and no one can see in. That being said, I don't think I would care for any inside on a longer voyage. Both of mine were transatlantics.

Archived