Standard inside deck 5 cabin with grand lobby window

Cape Cod Sally

Has anyone stayed in the inside cabins with the lobby windows? Thought that might be better than no window at all and the price is similar.:)

Hi Cape Cod Sally. Are you asking about QM2? Category D1? Regarding price difference, I think it might depend on the voyage you are planning as often there is little or no difference between D1 and C4 especially for a past passenger on certain voyages.

-Salacia

Yes, Salacia, sorry--I forgot to say Queen Mary 2. We were on the ship in June and loved it. Would like to take more voyages but am trying to save money.

We were in Britannia Club and loved Deck 12 as well as the dining. But we could go twice as much if we tried an inside cabin. Thought the atrium window might not make the cabin so dark.

Would love any comments--Thanks

Yes, Salacia, sorry--I forgot to say Queen Mary 2. We were on the ship in June and loved it. Would like to take more voyages but am trying to save money.

We were in Britannia Club and loved Deck 12 as well as the dining. But we could go twice as much if we tried an inside cabin. Thought the atrium window might not make the cabin so dark.

Would love any comments--Thanks

Hi Sally. I agree, the more money we can save, the more voyages we can take:) I've noticed that on some voyages the fare for past passengers, there really isn't a big difference between Atrium and ocean view cabins. Are you looking at a particular voyage?

Salacia

Hello Sally,

we were on Deck 5 in an inside room next door to the atrium view. We only looked at inside - within our budget but I do recall when I later checked the price there was still a considerable sum between those two choices.

I am sure I have read (and is probably in the thread you have been directed to) that the curtains do need to be drawn as people can see in from the opposite rooms.

I can honestly say that being in an inside room has not bothered us on our few voyages but if I am honest I would love to have some sort of 'sea view'.

It really depends on the budget available at the time.

regards

heywood

I'd wonder if there's any difference in the ambient light from the main lobby over the course of a day. Looks like it's purely artificial light.

Not having sailed, my impression of the biggest drawback of an interior cabin isn't the lack of a view - it's the lack of any visual connection inside the room to the time of day outside. I'd be very happy with an interior cabin with subtle interior lighting that automatically came up during the day and went out at night - so I'd have a feeling whether it was 3 AM or 9 AM when I woke up.

I understand you can do this with the in-room TV and the CCTV shot from the bow. I'd think the TV would brighten the room even at night...

There are pictures on the following link of an atrium cabin cabin with the blind shut, with the blind open and a view looking up to the atrium cabins:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427381

Hi Ray

Thanks for that link, I was interested to see these early pictures with the glass ceiling/deckhead in the Grand Lobby looking up into the Kings Court in the last photo. Pity that vanished to increase floor space and seating up there, it now seats around 500 I understand.

Thanks again, very useful pictures

We stayed in the "Atrium View" room on deck 5. This was an upgrade from a guarantee room. We never opened up the blinds/curtain, although we did peek to look down into the lobby. It is definitely not a room with a view. The light coming in at night was of no consequence. The room is located mid-ship, we felt hardly an movement of the ship. We were very happy with the room.

Hi Ray

Thanks for that link, I was interested to see these early pictures with the glass ceiling/deckhead in the Grand Lobby looking up into the Kings Court in the last photo. Pity that vanished to increase floor space and seating up there, it now seats around 500 I understand.

Thanks again, very useful pictures

You're welcome.

I didn't know that extra floor space and seating had been put in the King's Court. I thought it might have held more than 500 though.

You're welcome. I didn't know that extra floor space and seating had been put in the King's Court. I thought it might have held more than 500 though.

Hi Ray

That's what I was told by a senior member of the crew whom I've spoken to on most voyages, I assume the information is correct. Lunchtime on boarding day can feel like 500 seats and 2,000 passengers...

I never saw the glass floor in the Kings Court/Ceiling in the Grand Lobby, it had gone by time I boarded for the first time. So it lasted less than two years.

I have had one of these rooms. Yes the blinds do need to be drawn if you are not to be in full view of the rooms opposite.

The room did appear to be larger, it had an area similar to a walk in clothes closet for clothes.which I liked.

There was not really any noise from the atrium when I wished to sleep. I woudl be happy to take such a room again as an upgrade (which was how I had it )

How does the in-room TV help with the lighting?

Underwatr was refering to a normal inside room. I have never been in such a room on a Cunard ship but I have on long distance ferries and the effect of not knowing the time of day from natural light can be disconcerting. What people have said is that if you switch on the TV just before going to bed then there is a bit of light from that but as dawn arrives then the TV brightens-up the room recreating the natural effect of dawn.

Presumably an atrium cabin has the opposite problem that there is constant light outside. However, as has also been said, you have to close the blinds for privacy. I do not know how much of that atrium light the blinds exclude.

How does the in-room TV help with the lighting? I have booked such a room and never thought about the fact that you would have no idea of it being day or night in there? Thanks

Hi

If you choose the channel that shows the "bow cam" you have an idea of when it is night or day in an inside cabin. It is pitch black at night, but at dawn...

Actually, having had inside cabins (amongst others) on both QM2 and QV I like to have the tv on "bow cam" most of the time, like a virtual window! I also enjoy the "report from the bridge" channel giving position, sea state etc. That's really all I use the tv in the cabin for. I've very little idea what else is available. I didn't spend all that money, to travel on the greatest liner in the world, to watch the box...

If we need to get up at a particular time - we set the alarm on our mobile phone.

We would not sleep any later because the room is in darkness.

I would imagine that the problem would be not having natural light during the day if that is what one wanted.

We spend very little time in the room so it doesn't matter much to us. However, as I have said, when I see the rooms across from us with an in hull balcony, I can see a big difference.

I have stayed in one and enjoyed it but it was not really that much different from a regular inside. It's high enough so there isn't much of a view, and opening the curtains just a crack an produce the effect of a nice night light. I think these cabins are pretty popular and tend to sell out early. They also seem like a good choice to book as a guarantee if you get the opportunity. They are also in a very stable position on the ship.

Roy

Hi

If you choose the channel that shows the "bow cam" you have an idea of when it is night or day in an inside cabin. It is pitch black at night, but at dawn...

Actually, having had inside cabins (amongst others) on both QM2 and QV I like to have the tv on "bow cam" most of the time, like a virtual window! I also enjoy the "report from the bridge" channel giving position, sea state etc. That's really all I use the tv in the cabin for. I've very little idea what else is available. I didn't spend all that money, to travel on the greatest liner in the world, to watch the box...

I just check my watch,its always right, leaving your TV on is leaving a huge carbon footprint:) and we should try to keep that as low as we can, the atriums are nice but you really do have to keep the blind down if you have a light on in the cabin,but no noise and little movemnet in them

Our kids stayed in 5117 Atrium View while we were almost directly across the hall in a Hull Balcony 5123. One night we traded and I was claustrophobic. So I guess any inside would be hard for me. You could see out but at the expense of others seeing in. You could see the lobby stairs but had to get real close to the glass to see much downward. This room had a noise of the water rushing through distribution pipes just above the entrance door which after a while I got used to. But it sounded like nat gas in a pipeline.

I may be wrong but I think one of the biggest differences between a D1 (atrium) and other inside cabins is the location of the bed(s). In "regular" insides, the bed faces the door as you enter the cabin - in a D1, the bed is at right angles to the door, as in a balcony (deluxe/premium) cabin.

leaving your TV on is leaving a huge carbon footprint:) and we should try to keep that as low as we can

Cruising, in fact any form of travel, is not good for the environment. Perhaps we should all just stay at home?

I may be wrong but I think one of the biggest differences between a D1 (atrium) and other inside cabins is the location of the bed(s). In "regular" insides, the bed faces the door as you enter the cabin - in a D1, the bed is at right angles to the door, as in a balcony (deluxe/premium) cabin.

I think your about right with that info

Archived