TA vs. PVP Since Jan. 1 '05

neverenufcruising

For the last few years we've used a local TA to book our cruises. She's always been helpful and always quoted a price within a few dollars of the online TA's. Now when I call to get a quote, she's quoting the exact same thing quoted on the Carnival site.

I realize the new policy states that TA's can't ADVERTISE a lower rate. But what I notice about a lot of the online TA's is they advertise one price, but when you go through the booking process, it is significantly cheaper.

I was curious if this is the case with Carnival PVPs. We've never used a PVP and I didn't know if they just quote the price that's on Carnival's site, or if they actually quote you something below the advertised price. I know people have said they'll tell the PVP they found the price for less on a online web site and sometimes they'll work with you, but are they still doing post-January 1st.

If I'm going to stop using my local TA, I'm considering cutting out the middleman and going with a PVP, however if an online TA is going to save me a reasonable amount of money, I'll go that route.

Any recent experiences or insight is appreciated.

For the last few years we've used a local TA to book our cruises. She's always been helpful and always quoted a price within a few dollars of the online TA's. Now when I call to get a quote, she's quoting the exact same thing quoted on the Carnival site.

I realize the new policy states that TA's can't ADVERTISE a lower rate. But what I notice about a lot of the online TA's is they advertise one price, but when you go through the booking process, it is significantly cheaper.

I was curious if this is the case with Carnival PVPs. We've never used a PVP and I didn't know if they just quote the price that's on Carnival's site, or if they actually quote you something below the advertised price. I know people have said they'll tell the PVP they found the price for less on a online web site and sometimes they'll work with you, but are they still doing post-January 1st.

If I'm going to stop using my local TA, I'm considering cutting out the middleman and going with a PVP, however if an online TA is going to save me a reasonable amount of money, I'll go that route.

Any recent experiences or insight is appreciated.

The best thing to do is call several TA's get a price and then check with a PVP and see what they can do for you. Often the amount of discount you get from a PVP is based on the relationship you have built up with them. In the end each person had to decide what is the best value. I book all my cruises with my PVP and dont plan on changing anytime soon.

Experience from earlier this week:

Looked at prices at 4-5 different online travel sites. Exact same price everywhere for a cruise that is 3 weeks away, with the same upgrade offers, etc. Was going to go with Travelocity due to their "Get a Target gift card" promotion, but called Carnival PVP to get my previous guest number (so I could check if there were any previous customer deals). While I was on the phone with her, she checked prices and she showed a 1A to 5A upgrade that wasn't available through the online sites, saving us something like $250-$300 (for a family of 4).

I never spoke with anyone else, we booked it. So I can say without a doubt that it's at least worth giving them a call.

What about using C1 Rewards and booking?? I just used some C1 Rewards and booked, but apparently my PVP was not supposed to handle it because we have rewards???? Confusing???

AND, if we use Rewards, do we jam ourselves on getting better discounts, past cruiser, etc......

That's a whole other issue I forgot to mention in my initial post. I have a rewards card that will give me Gift Certificates towards cruises w/Carnival, but I have to use the Certificates when I initially book the cruise (can't use them for later payments), and have to book directly with Carnival to use them. When I look at Carnival's prices online, they are about $75-100 more pp than the online TA. The points aren't costing me anything so going with a PVP there, I'd net about $100 cheaper with the points I have accumulated. Just trying to look at all the angles.

It was the Capital One Carnival Card, but they are ending it. This is why I have questions on redeeming points. They have a new card (see all the posts about SeaMiles, but it is not that good). There is also iCruise.com that offers a card that is better.

So, anyone who is more experienced at redeeming points, can you please help!

1. Can I use the 10,000 point upgrade from exterior to OV for a party of 4-5? Which rate do I pay??

2. Do i have to book with a Carnival to use multiple upgrades (such as ext. to OV) and $1,000 off?? I feel like I lose getting the best deal?

I have a Citibank Diamond Preferred. When I got it, the way the terms read you could use the certificates with a TA who would call them in to Carnival and then have to mail them in. They could be used anytime before final payment. The card pays good on the points, but now that there are so many restrictions, I'm thinking of switching.

From what I have found out Carinval will either meet or beet any price a travel agent offers. as far as the pointe I believe you can use them for credit on your sign and sail card(don't quote me on that but that is what i understooid from the PVP) also if your PVP gives the upgrades and quotes them they are guatranteed unlike some TA's

From what I have found out Carinval will either meet or beet any price a travel agent offers. as far as the pointe I believe you can use them for credit on your sign and sail card(don't quote me on that but that is what i understooid from the PVP) also if your PVP gives the upgrades and quotes them they are guatranteed unlike some TA's

Even a credit on my S&S card to balance it out is fine with me. We usually put a pretty good chunk of change on the card.

Archived