Tipping Early/Often, What's the Reward for You?

GAcruiser417

But that is fine,

as you were asking him to do something a bit more than normal...

Not a Bribe...

Just payment for an extra service.

Handing him a 20 and saying nothing

assuming they well treat you better than the next Cabin is the problem...

Any good Steward, or person of service, does their best for all...

and the tip at the end shows how much YOU appreciated their efforts.

The tip at the end reflects on you and their work.

Granted you might get bad service, but for the most part, they are there to make you happy, in turn, a better tip is the bonus.

what world do you live in? the dollar has and always will speak

I've done both. I always tip extra at the end, but I have also tipped first day as well. Did I get better service? Well I got towel animals every day when I tip early. :D Over all I think the stewards are great. I see nothing wrong with tipping whenever you want. They want the money, regardless.

I've done both. I always tip extra at the end, but I have also tipped first day as well. Did I get better service? Well I got towel animals every day when I tip early. :D Over all I think the stewards are great. I see nothing wrong with tipping whenever you want. They want the money, regardless.

On ever cruise line I sailed a towel animal was waiting on me every night:p

Okay, no haters please! I always tip the recommended amount at the end of the cruise. But for those of you that say you tip your room steward early & often...what type of special treatment/care have have you received from that? Just wondering about trying that on my upcoming cruise.

I used to tip the room steward on the first day, and the last. But I had a couple of RS's refuse the early tip and suggest the tip at the end would be best. So I only tip prior to the end if I ask some special request from the RS.

Bartenders, I tip $1.00 per drink in cash on top of the 15% added. And I will leave another $5.00 or $10.00 each time I leave the bar if the tender is good to excellent. Benefits? Instant service and drinks that I sometimes have to ask they tone them down a bit.

For instance, after tipping extra for a few drinks I was having a rum drink and I asked if she would put a floater on top. That's a splash of rum on the top of the glass, not mixed in. As the ice melts, the 'floater' keeps the drink from tasting watered down. She poured a double shot of rum on top of the drink. That was way overboard.:D

Well on this topic I will chime in...

I try to find my cabin steward as soon as possible and tip him/her $20 and assure them that there is more to come at the end. I do this for the following reasons:

1. They have a long list of cabins to attend to and that puts me at the front of the priority queue for service - it works.

2. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and at the time that first tip is rendered, I explain that I need a separate ice bucket for my insulin (therefore it is not a bribe).

3. I have been known to sneak booze onboard and the tip is a gesture of good faith (cannot prove if this is the reason I haven't been caught in the multitude of cruises I've taken, but I'll not risk it).

4. I know the economics of being a cabin steward and they can make that cash go MUCH further than I will... I have YET to have a cabin steward who didn't impress me after my initial 'bribery' tip.

Bartenders, I tip $1.00 per drink in cash on top of the 15% added. And I will leave another $5.00 or $10.00 each time I leave the bar if the tender is good to excellent. Benefits? Instant service and drinks that I sometimes have to ask they tone them down a bit.

you're either very rich or don't drink enough:)

on our last cruise in June, we had a family group with 6 cabins in the same general area with the same cabin steward. my son and wife & kids accross the hall from hubby & me. we tipped $20 the first time we met our steward and asked him to remove all from the fridge and keep ice bucket full. - he did so that same night.

i needed a corkscrew - my son needed an extension cord (prohibited) - all was recieved.

my in laws down the hall asked for their fridge to be emptied the next day and he said he couldn't because it was not allowed.

was my $20 the reason? or was it the kids? who knows.

you're either very rich or don't drink enough:)

I certainly do drink enough on day one. Not likely I'll do more than 10 drinks on any other day. And the last day or two, very little. There was a time when I could/would consume a whole fifth of Scotch in a day. Only very good genes kept me from developing alcoholism. Pure luck! No intelligence on my part involved. Now I drink about 98% of my years drinking on cruise ships, only very rarely have a drink on land. But fortunate that I can have a beer or two, or a shot or two and just walk away and not think about it. Right now I have 5 excellent German beers in the fridge. they've been there so long that when I do crack one, it will probably be skunky and I'll toss them all.

But I did the same tipping on ships 40 years ago too. And then I did drink a lot.

Just had a thought, 40 years and I'm still tipping the same amount. I guess I USED to big a big tipper, that buck doesn't travel as well today!:D

okay, no haters please! I always tip the recommended amount at the end of the cruise. But for those of you that say you tip your room steward early & often...what type of special treatment/care have have you received from that? Just wondering about trying that on my upcoming cruise.

fresh bathrobes every day instead of 1 for the duration of the cruise

fresh ice in a wine bucket to keep in room wine cool at all times

fresh, new pool towels at all times

in the case of a suite, additional toiletries, razors, advil etc. Upon request

leaves the power strip alone

chocolates on the pillow

past guest pins

etc. Etc. Etc.

Last cruise, I slipped my guy a 20 first day and asked for a 2nd ice bucket and both be full at all times. I go thru a lot of ice and in cruises past, I had to go hunting the steward down for more sometimes. It worked. I had two full ice buckets at all times and gave him an excellent tip at the end.

It felt right, it worked out.

I do the same thing. You will have a friend for the week. These people deserve it. You might even get a free gift, like the book about the ship that comes in your room.

I learned a lot from reading this thread. It's my first cruise and didn't know how tipping works. Just so I know I got it right...

1) Everytime I get a drink, I'll have to sign for it and it will automatically include a 15% tip, right? So I'm free to tip an extra $1 for each drink. Ok got that.

2) Everytime, I order food either in the MDR or Lido, it will also include the 15% gratuity.... so my Q is do people tip the individual waitstaff at the end of each meal too? Or do you do tip extra at the end of your cruise for all the waitstaff?

While I've never been on a cruise before, I tend to believe I'll want to tip the individual people that assist and wait on me, and not necessarily everyone on board. Does this mean that I should tip those individual people extra during the cruise rather than having it go to everyone at the end of the cruise?

Sorry, I'm a newbie, but please tell me if I'm wrong.

I learned a lot from reading this thread. It's my first cruise and didn't know how tipping works. Just so I know I got it right...

1) Everytime I get a drink, I'll have to sign for it and it will automatically include a 15% tip, right? So I'm free to tip an extra $1 for each drink. Ok got that.

2) Everytime, I order food either in the MDR or Lido, it will also include the 15% gratuity.... so my Q is do people tip the individual waitstaff at the end of each meal too? Or do you do tip extra at the end of your cruise for all the waitstaff?

While I've never been on a cruise before, I tend to believe I'll want to tip the individual people that assist and wait on me, and not necessarily everyone on board. Does this mean that I should tip those individual people extra during the cruise rather than having it go to everyone at the end of the cruise?

1. You pay for your beverages individually and tips are included in the bill. Add more either on the bill or in cash if you want.

2. Food in the Lido or MDR is included in your cruise fare and there is no bill, so no place to add a tip. These tips are included in the $10/day you are charged. Again, feel free to give something extra any time you are so inclined.

I have been on a very large number of cruises. Tipping is simply this:

Your tips for your waiter, Assistant waiter, and Cabin Stewart will be automatically added to your sign and sail card at the end of the cruise. That amount is the expected amount. If you feel you waiter or anyone else in the above list needs more, by all means tip them in person at the end or add to the sign and sail tip. The Maitre'D envelope will be left in your cabin IF YOU FEEL LIKE tipping him. I normally do NOT unless he helps me with a table change. Your call.

As far as the bar waiters/servers... I tip them cash if they do one of the following:

1. If I have a soda card - I tip them a dollar for every other refill.

2. If a bartender is especially friendly time and again I will sign a couple bucks extra...

3. If a bartender habitually overpours me... a few bucks extra...

Keep in mind, they already get an automatic tip so it is up to you...

Oh - and there is no 'sgning for food' in the MDR or Lido - it is all free... same with all Carnival Restaurants (Except specialties that you pay a per-person surcharge - like the steakhouses, but only select ships even have these restaurants.)

[quote name='Nicole in NJ']

Sorry, I'm a newbie, but please tell me if I'm wrong.[/quote]
This might help

Service Gratuities
For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:
$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services
$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services
$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff
For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.
Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.
For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

[quote name='Nicole in NJ']Thanks for the explanations. All very helpful. I guess I'll make sure to bring small bills with me on the ship.[/QUOTE]

It isn't all that common to see people tipping cash - except at the Piano Bar... That is the only time I bring cash out of my cabin unless we are at port...

OH but ALWAYS tip Room Service... the food is free - the service is not...

[quote name='Nicole in NJ']I learned a lot from reading this thread. It's my first cruise and didn't know how tipping works. Just so I know I got it right...

[COLOR=Red][B]On Carnival, all lines for that matter, Lido buffet food and MDR food are included in your cruise. Some ships have a dessert/coffee bar on the Promenade deck and some have a supper club. The sweets and coffee, only at that Promenade Cafe, come at a price. Don't know if a tip is added on there, I don't eat sweets. The supper club [Steakhouse] is $30.00 per person and includes the tip should you CHOOSE to make a reservation to dine there any night.[/B][/COLOR]

Sorry, I'm a newbie, but please tell me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

The way Carnival assigns the tips, your individual room steward gets your tip, and your individual waiters that wait on your table in the MDR get YOUR tip. Only $1.00 pppd is pooled for the buffet crew.

Not all cruiselines assign the tips the same way Carnival does. Some pool all the tip money and split it among all service workers. And other lines do it others ways.

[quote name='Synthetic']
OH but ALWAYS tip Room Service... the food is free - the service is not...[/quote]

Tipping is not Mandatory on room service.

Carnival recommends $1 . If as another poster states, tip if you want to be a sport and not a cheapskate,

[quote name='dan40']I certainly do drink enough on day one. Not likely I'll do more than 10 drinks on any other day. And the last day or two, very little. There was a time when I could/would consume a whole fifth of Scotch in a day. Only very good genes kept me from developing alcoholism. Pure luck! No intelligence on my part involved. Now I drink about 98% of my years drinking on cruise ships, only very rarely have a drink on land. But fortunate that I can have a beer or two, or a shot or two and just walk away and not think about it. Right now I have 5 excellent German beers in the fridge. they've been there so long that when I do crack one, it will probably be skunky and I'll toss them all.

But I did the same tipping on ships 40 years ago too. And then I did drink a lot.

Just had a thought, 40 years and I'm still tipping the same amount. I guess I USED to big a big tipper, that buck doesn't travel as well today!:D[/QUOTE]

amen to that, and pour self a scotch from me. i tend to tip more as the nite goes on. i don't know why

[quote name='Synthetic']It isn't all that common to see people tipping cash - except at the Piano Bar... That is the only time I bring cash out of my cabin unless we are at port...

OH but ALWAYS tip Room Service... the food is free - the service is not...[/quote]
Tipping is not mandatory for room service, but is a nice way of saying thanks for bringing me my breakfast at 6:30 am. A few bucks won't kill us

I always leave the automated tips in place, and find it to be convenient and think those employees deserve the minimum regardless of service rendered. I do however usually like to add something extra, especially when provided with very good service. That is usually the case with the room steward, my dining room waiters, and a favorite drink waiter/bar tender. I dont offer that tip early though, so I give it to them the last evening of the cruise. I have always had good to very good and sometimes exceptional service from these employees, regardless of the fact that I dont tip them up front. Only once had a very nasty/rude and bad service from a drink waiter in the dining room, so after the first two nights I didnt order from him again, and he got no more business from me and nothing extra needless to say. And of course room service usually gets at least 2.00 now, but I usually only order coffee and a croissant for breakfast. Just my experience.:)

[quote name='pnjkeith']Tipping is not Mandatory on room service.

Carnival recommends $1 . If as another poster states, tip if you want to be a sport and not a cheapskate,[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was mandatory - I am giving advice...

But I feel sorry for someone who doesn't... w/e

Archived