Tipping Early/Often, What's the Reward for You?

GAcruiser417

[quote name='capndinghy'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][B]To all of you 'cheapskates' . . remember these folks work for tips. A little extra means a LOT to them. I always slip the room steward an extra $20 on the first day. They are always appreciative. Yes, you will get good service without going the extra buck...but what the hell...be a sport! :)[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I'm going to buy my steward a new car and give him the keys when I arrive at my room. I'll also give him a photo album with pictures or the car.

I should be able to get some extra towels and toiletry samples by doing this.

[quote name='salty dingo']I have heard first-hand accounts that the steward was taken aback by an early tip. The idea of a tip s a reward for a job well done.

Extending a "tip" early is a bribe... and a decent person is not going to like it... but a gracious steward would probably accept it... and think you were a strange person, indeed.[/quote]
I would bet that when he sees the pax handing him a tip early on that he knows he's in for it......keep the colapsable (sp) cooler filled with 2 tons of ice all day long even when we are in port.........don't disturb pax until noon.......extra towels.......don't make up the room at night until 10pm.......extra ash trays for the balcony....extra this extra that.........
oh and...my 9 yo is staying in the cabin down the hall with his 7yo sister and could the steward check on them in the middle of the night:D

of course, I am the only one that sees it this way :rolleyes: and everyone else will undoubtly see it totally different!!:rolleyes:

[quote name='Bobby_Mac']I'm going to buy my steward a new car and give him the keys when I arrive at my room. I'll also give him a photo album with pictures or the car.

I should be able to get some extra towels and toiletry samples by doing this.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Steward will be thankful and appreciate all you have done. He will give you some past guest pins to sell on ebay.:D

T.I.P. is a acronym for (to insure promptness) and is fine if given before services have been rendered. It is not a bribe or a way of telling someone "take this and I will ask the world of you" as some posters believe. Tip however you feel is fair, before, after, both, or at all.

[quote name='rhca426']Okay, no haters please! I always tip the recommended amount at the end of the cruise. But for those of you that say you tip your room steward early & often...what type of special treatment/care have have you received from that? Just wondering about trying that on my upcoming cruise.[/QUOTE]

We tip extra at the end of the cruise because we've never had a cabin steward(s) that were not friendly and phenomenal. We also keep something in mind that a steward told us on HAL. "All we want is for the passengers to respect us and the job we do." So, in addition to any extra tip that we may leave, we make a point of showing respect to all the crew members from the moment we embark on any ship.

We usually like to sit at the bar and have our drinks. Doing this we usually end up in conversation with the bartenders. If we have had good conversation with them and they made our time at the bar more enjoyable we tips them right then and there and say... here is a little something for making our day more enjoyable. This way they know the tip is for who they are and the service they presented to us and not a bribe. I enjoy getting to know the staff on a cruise. I know in my work it makes my day a whole lot better to have nice people get to know me and make my day pass quicker.

We always pre pay our tips, but we do extra. We usually have a few requests when we first get on the ship, and we give him/her more money for these requests...We too have never had a WE CAN"T DO THAT...

After talking to them, they do know if you have prepaid your tips or not, so we have found that when you prepay, they will give you the same service but if you give a little extra, they will do more for you.

Do as you wish, and i don't understand why people have to be so rude...Do as you wish and do want you want...you don't have to be rude to others

So to the poster who is against tipping in advance I will share that I always tip the valet to park my car to ensure he takes best care of it or I tip a Maitre'D as well. I haven't received my table yet, so is that a bribe?

Interesting...

[quote name='Synthetic']So to the poster who is against tipping in advance I will share that I always tip the valet to park my car to ensure he takes best care of it or I tip a Maitre'D as well. I haven't received my table yet, so is that a bribe?

Interesting...[/quote]

The "tipping in advance" complaint is only rationalization for not tipping at all. Because there IS NO tipping in advance on cruise ships. Even if one prepays their tips with their final cruise fare payment, the CREW does not get the tips until the cruise ends as the pax can change or remove those tips anytime 24/7 throughout the cruise. And auto-tips are similar in that they too are adjustable or removable 24/7 throughout the cruise. AND the tip amount is NOT charged to the passengers credit card until after the cruise ends and the crew does not receive the tip until after the cruise ends as well. SO THERE IS NO TIPPING IN ADVANCE, but lots of excuses by the tip reluctant.

[quote name='Synthetic']So to the poster who is against tipping in advance I will share that I always tip the valet to park my car to ensure he takes best care of it or I tip a Maitre'D as well. I haven't received my table yet, so is that a bribe?

Interesting...[/quote]

I must tell you, as an ex valet parker, that we may have put your car in a convenient place with your advance tip, but we then used it to get high in it, and listen to Kansas' Leftoverture, or Heart's Dreamboat Annie. On 8 track, it we were lucky!

[quote name='Crusin6']I would bet that when he sees the pax handing him a tip early on that he knows he's in for it......keep the colapsable (sp) cooler filled with 2 tons of ice all day long even when we are in port.........don't disturb pax until noon.......extra towels.......don't make up the room at night until 10pm.......extra ash trays for the balcony....extra this extra that.........
oh and...my 9 yo is staying in the cabin down the hall with his 7yo sister and could the steward check on them in the middle of the night:D

of course, I am the only one that sees it this way :rolleyes: and everyone else will undoubtly see it totally different!!:rolleyes:[/quote]
Doesn't anyone besides me tip because it makes one feel good about oneselves. Your on a CRUISE, pi$$ing money away anyway. Sharing some of it upfront with people who are busting their behinds to make YOU have a good time seems trivial. Now, if I get extraordinary service, including FREE drinks, SO BE IT!

[quote name='joge107']Doesn't anyone besides me tip because it makes one feel good about oneselves. Your on a CRUISE, pi$$ing money away anyway. Sharing some of it upfront with people who are busting their behinds to make YOU have a good time seems trivial. Now, if I get extraordinary service, including FREE drinks, SO BE IT![/quote]

I don't think that way. The auto tips stay in place and I may tip the waitstaff and steward extra for fabulous service but I also cruise on a budget and don't toss money around just to make myself feel good.

[quote name='Name Of The Game']I don't think that way. The auto tips stay in place and I may tip the waitstaff and steward extra for fabulous service but I also cruise on a budget and don't toss money around just to make myself feel good.[/quote]

+1

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

[quote name='capsfan24']T.I.P. is a acronym for (to insure promptness) and is fine if given before services have been rendered. It is not a bribe or a way of telling someone "take this and I will ask the world of you" as some posters believe. Tip however you feel is fair, before, after, both, or at all.[/quote]

No it's not. And the word would be ENSURE, not insure. :rolleyes:

[quote name='rhca426']Okay, no haters please! I always tip the recommended amount at the end of the cruise. But for those of you that say you tip your room steward early & often...what type of special treatment/care have have you received from that? Just wondering about trying that on my upcoming cruise.[/QUOTE]

6 of one half a dozen of another for me. I've tipped early and received pretty good service. I've NOT tipped early and received pretty good service. Doesn't seem to matter a whole lot. In most cases I do slip him/her a 10 spot early in the cruise and I guess I'm happy that I have paid more than the necessary.

[quote name='globe9']I've tipped bartenders in cash OVER the included 15% on almost every cruise. I drink beer during the day on deck and have almost always have had an extra one or two served to me at no charge during the day. Plus the deck server is always VERY attentive to me and my companions. They say their drinks are stronger(keep in mind my friends and I don't usually drink DOD's or "frou frou" drinks, but traditional cocktails such as gin and tonic, scotch and water, etc, where being stronger is more noticeable.)

At night, I'll have a few scotch and soda's and yes, they are stronger in the lounges we frequent. The bartenders in the disco lounge and the servers in the piano bar also are much more attentive. I've witnessed other passengers waiting much longer than us to get served in these venues.

So, yes, in some instances I don't see anything wrong with tipping in cash, up front, and with every round as I appreciate the service I'm receiving and sometimes get little, extra perks, such as a complimentary drink here and there.

I would tip extra however even if I didn't receive anything complimentary. I was a bartender in college and it's just ingrained in me to tip more than 15%. 15% for me, is for MINIMAL service...meaning, I order, and the server brings it. I always tip more.[/quote]
When you tip extra for drinks, is that on your sail and sign or do you give cash?

I don't prepay extra tips, but I leave the autotips on and give a tip when I ask for something extra and get it. Usually happens.

For instance: Last cruise they gave gifts for it being the inaugural and our three cabin mates aren't same family so I asked for 3 of the gift and got it.

[quote name='joge107']Doesn't anyone besides me tip because it makes one feel good about oneselves. Your on a CRUISE, pi$$ing money away anyway. Sharing some of it upfront with people who are busting their behinds to make YOU have a good time seems trivial. Now, if I get extraordinary service, including FREE drinks, SO BE IT![/quote]
My husband is like that. He used to be in the restaurant business and always wants to tip really big. I prefer to stick to 15%

I'm curious what you all mean when talking about excellent service from your room steward. I have always been happy iwth our room being tidied and the bed turned down at night, but other than getting clean towels, room tidied and bed turned down is there any otehr service you folks are getting.
Don't get me wrong, I love all that - it's nso nice to do it for myself, but I'm just curious . For instance several people have metntioned the ice buckets - I've never had ice in my ice bucked. And when people say they ask their room steward for things - on most of the cruises they have introduced themselves in the first day or two but we never saw them in person after that - only could tell they were around somewhere because our room was clean.

[quote name='joge107']Doesn't anyone besides me tip because it makes one feel good about oneselves. Your on a CRUISE, pi$$ing money away anyway. Sharing some of it upfront with people who are busting their behinds to make YOU have a good time seems trivial. Now, if I get extraordinary service, including FREE drinks, SO BE IT![/QUOTE]

Nope. I only tip for service received, usually 20%. No need to bribe or feel good about throwing tips about.

I do not feel sorry for workers and their wages on cruise ships. Last time I looked saw no one holding a gun to their heads forcing them to work. It is their choice, if conditions and tips were really that bad they would not keep renewing contracts.

[quote name='Rallytime1975']We always pre pay our tips, but we do extra. We usually have a few requests when we first get on the ship, and we give him/her more money for these requests...We too have never had a WE CAN"T DO THAT...

After talking to them, they do know if you have prepaid your tips or not, so we have found that when you prepay, they will give you the same service but if you give a little extra, they will do more for you.

Do as you wish, and i don't understand why people have to be so rude...Do as you wish and do want you want...you don't have to be rude to others[/QUOTE]
I hope my comment was not misconstrued as being rude. Didn't mean it to be, was just stating that back in the day that's what a tip was and the origin of the word tip

[quote name='MrPete']No it's not. And the word would be ENSURE, not insure. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
No I'm quite right. The etymology of the word tip is "to INSURE promptness" ensure is what old people drink. Guess I was to busy getting my bachelor in english history while you were getting stoned in peoples cars you were supposed to be parking
:rolleyes:

Archived