Can I bring tool kit in carry on?

Arlened236

I know I read a thread a while ago about what items you can bring on the plane in your carry on luggage. Of course, now I can't find it.

My question is: can I bring a small tool kit including a small screw driver, pliers, allen wrench, etc. for my folding w/c and my aka prosthesis?

I know these items are ususally not allowed, but I might need them.

thank for your help.

Arlene

Hi Arlene,

I have a small tool kit for my wheelchair................forgot it was in the bag the first time, but it was accepted for what it was, and it has been through airports several times.........I just leave it in the bag that hangs on the back of my chair, along with any printed maintenance instructions that came with the tools. I have wrenches, but no screwdriver.

You must be getting excited about your cruise...............this coming week, isn't it?

Have a great time, and be sure to write us a little review!

Smooth seas and gentle winds to you,

L.

The screwdriver will technically present a problem. I say technically because it's not allowed, but TSA misses stuff like that about 50% of the time. They put on a good show, but in reality security is really no better today than it was pre 9-11. i say this from personal experience and being on the road about 50% of the time.

In any case, worse case scenario is that it will be confiscated. If they find it, just smile, explain why you need it, act innocent and hope for the best. Don't try to reason or argue.

If you really need it, I'd take a cheapie one and hope for the best. You can always pick up another at your destination. Don't take a "one of a kind" one or anything expensive, as it may be confiscated.

Candy

Thanks for the quick reply...these boards are wonderful. I do need a small Phillips screwdriver to adjust the strap from the silicone liner that holds my prosthesis on. I hope they wont take it from me. Maybe if I just put these things in the bag with my spare liner and prosthetic socks they wont say anything.

Yes our cruise to Hawaii is in 5 days...its seems like we have been planning this for so long. We did decide to take 3 Princess tours and in Honolulu we have rented a Hummer (and driver)for the day with another couple we met on the boards..he uses a walker so we should be about the same speed. I will be sure to write a review of this when we return

My only problem is that I will need a new prosthesis when we return...the knee on this one keeps collapsing, so I have been advised not to walk too much until then...thank goodness for the electric scooter I have rented for the ship.

Thanks for the good wishes...see you all soon on the boards

Arlene

Although I now generally pack the kit in our checked luggage, I used to take it in my hand luggage because the leg rest used to fall off my husband's old chair. Only once in about 30 flights was I asked about it. However, I have found that security in every airport is different so it is possible that you may encounter difficulty. Therefore I suggest you take an inexpensive one with you and pack your usual one in your checked luggage.

We need both a screwdriver and a wrench to set up our travel lift. We have had both confisgated at airports, and once when boarding a ship. Now we ONLY put them in our checked baggage and have had no problems since. Can't risk getting them confisgated.

I would have to agree with the poster who said it all depends on the airport. When we returned from our cruise on the QM2, my dumb blond self forgot the scissors in the carry on. Of course they took those from me. But this time they also took my nail file and the kit I use to tighten my glasses and the screws on my cane. I've traveled with that kit which contains two small screwdrivers for a long time, but it was taken from me last month. Go figure.

Thanks everyone for your input. I just packed away my tool kit/sissors/and nail clippers just in case. Ginger altoids are all packed (thanks to Candy) just hope we wont need them.

Leave tomorrow AM for LA and the cruise leaves on Friday...will report on the ship and tours that we take in the islands when we return.

Arlene

Archived