Staying in NJ, way to easily tour NYC for a day?

Seraphine

We will be cruising out of Port Liberty on 7 November. We'll be arriving on the 5th, and have one day to get ready (I think we're booked for the Sheraton near the port, but I have to double check that).

My parents will be meeting us, and will be going on their first cruise!

Anyway, my dad has never been to NYC and it's always been a dream of his. I would love to find some sort of tour or something we could go on so he could at least see a bit of the city before we sail out.

- we'll have a rental car but my husband will not drive into the city (can't blame him there!)

- my dad uses a mobility scooter and can't walk more than about 20 feet without excruciating pain

- we're travelling with a 5 year old and a 16 month old (so, 4 adults, 2 kids)

We were thinking of something like one of the Grey Line tours, or a Hop on Hop off type thing, but how would we easily be able to get into the city to join such a tour?

I apologise if this sounds disjointed - I'd just love to be able to arrange something as STRESS FREE as possible (as my dad's a little freaked out over leaving his home environment due to his mobility problems). If anyone who knows the area has any suggestions, I'd be profoundly grateful.

Thank you!

Sorry no one has responded to you, but I think that is because your situation is complicated with your father and his mobility issues and the small children. There is a Disabled Cruising forum that might be able to give you some advice.

You can always arrange a car service to take you all to NY to the tour bus departure area and back, but what would you do with your father if he had to stand around and wait for the bus or the car service? What you're probably looking for is a tour company that could pick you up at your hotel and drive you around for several hours in NY and bring you back to the hotel. This would be pricey, but it would be as stress free as you can get. Would you have a mobile phone? If any of you wanted to get out of the car on the tour, it might not be possible for the car to stand and wait for you, so you might need a way to communicate with the driver as he drove around waiting for you.

$950-group up to 9

Grayline private 8 hour NY tour. Will pick you up in New Jersey

Reasonable price for 6 people. It will cost you about $250 (or more) JUST for transport to get from the Sheraton to NYC and return with 6 people and a scooter. That price DOES NOT include any kind of tour in NYC (which will be AT LEAST $50.00pp and that is only the HoHo bus). Gray Line does a great job with NYC tours.

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php?item=VIP8HRS

Thanks for your responses :)

The mobility thing is a big issue, and we're all fairly new at this. Adding to the fact we don't know the area... it's a lot to consider. I was going to ask on the Disability board, but thought the folks here might be more familiar with the area.

Sounds like it will be pretty complicated! But we wanted to see if there was any straightforward way of seeing a few sights.

Will keep looking! Thanks!

Archived