Has anybody tried "Celebrity Select Dining" lately??

John&Betty

We are on the Infinity to Alaska next week and are thinking about trying Select Dining. We were on the Golden Princess last May and their Anytime Dining worked beautifully! Just like breakfast seating. They asked us what size table we wanted and we were seated right away. Of course they had one whole dining room set aside for it.

The last time we tried it on Celebrity we were crammed into a small section on the balcony and all they had were tables for two. If they're still doing that we'll stick with late dining.

John

We did select dining on the Aug 15th sailing to NE/Canada. It worked well for us. On the Summit it was on the lower level, left side of the Cosmopolitan, I want to say deck 4 but I'm forgetting the floors already.

They had tables of 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10. The closest tables were the ones for 2 otherwise there was enough room between tables.

We did select dining on the Aug 15th sailing to NE/Canada. It worked well for us. On the Summit it was on the lower level, left side of the Cosmopolitan, I want to say deck 4 but I'm forgetting the floors already.

They had tables of 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10. The closest tables were the ones for 2 otherwise there was enough room between tables.

Hi,

Were you able to choose to sit with other people when you wanted to?

Thanks,

John

Select Dining is for the dinners only and a particular area of the upper level (on our cruise) in the MDR is used for this option, so it feels like an extention of a familiar dining venue.

Breakfasts are all open seating in the lower level of the MDR and are open to anytime without reservation as long as it is within the serving hours. One may find a wait for a table to be cleaned/cleared/reset as the area for the MDR Breakfast is a specific area as well.

Confused?:o

Select Dining is for Dinner in one location, tips must be prepaid.

Breakfast has nothing to do with Select Dining, its a traditional option and applies to any and all guests no matter what their dining preferences/options are.

We did Select Dining on the Summit in June and it worked fairly well. We pre-booked most nights prior to getting on the ship.

They only had it on the upper level (left side) of the dining room so it wasn't too popular for our sailing, but it was still new.

We would have been seated each night immediately if we were willing to sit with other people. The longest we ever waited was probably 20 minutes and they told you to have a seat in the martini bar and they would come get you when your table for 2 was ready.

It was pretty efficient except for the fact that it was impossible to get a drink from the bar. Wine Stewards were everywhere, but bar waiters were invisible. Hopefully they have corrected this issue for those non-wine drinkers.

The tables were close, but not any closer than usual.

Have a great trip!

Our Select dining was on the left side and if you walked out you would walk right into the Martini bar. I can't remember what floor that was sorry.

When I booked our dinner reservations I requested a table for 4. However, the last night we were10 min late and everyone was early and as a result our table was given away. They were very apologetic as we had a person in our party with mobility issues. They asked what would be our next preference and it worked out well. We went for a table for 6 and met 2 wonderful people.

Yes if that is what you want. We have found that at Breakfast it is choose what you want.

You know I might want to clarify what I wrote on a re-read. In Select dining, it is not a norm for a large table. They do have them, but mostly the tables are smaller tables. The hostess will be able to assist you if you explain your desire.

I had select dining on Millennium in May to Alaska. I liked it. It was located on deck five on one side. There are a lot of tables for two, but four tops on the windows and some bigger tables. Most nights they would ask if we wanted to join people. We were flexible and did a couple times but generally had a table for two. We did wait a few times but never very long, and they would come and get you in the Martini bar so it wasn't a problem. I'd do it again--and will try in December. The service was good, although sometimes they got very busy. I did miss the routine of the same waiter who remembers your favorites, but you can ask for the same waiter if you find one you want and he has an open table/or you wait. We did have the same assistant waiter several nights and he did "remember" what we like.

How "close" are the tables for 2? Is it just inches so you feel like you are really sitting with the next couple??

Is there a way to get a table not so close together??

Yes sitting with others, no to tables that have a lot of space although I saw one table practically out in the aisle of entry and exit traffic and that would never really do for anyone.

FWIW it did not bother us. Everyone was cordial and said hello to one another and each couple keep themselves private, so it was quite intimate if you chose it to be. It was not uncommon to have a little bit of chit chat, but there were imaginary boundaries and it was very well respected.

Each evening you would see some familiar faces dotted around and everyone upon recognition would greet one another. I thought the environment was wonderful and would do it again.

If you want a free flow of communication then I would suggest requesting a table with others. If you want more well defined space, the tables for two in the MDR on S Class ships are pretty close too, maybe not this close, but still closer than one might think.

Archived