Freedom Trail Boston Question

CMM

Last time we were in Boston we started in the Commons area went as far as Paul Revere's House.

Would it lessen the experience any to do the Freedom Trail in reverse? I would rather be in the gardens when it is later in the day and maybe do the Swan Boat rides.

Also is there much we missed after Paul Reveres House?

Lastly we would love to stop in a few pubs along the way if anyone has any good suggestions.

Thanks for your help! Leave in a week!

If you only got as far as Paul Revere's house, you missed Bunker Hill and the Constitution. If you want to see them, I would go directly there first. Then I would take the MBTA water taxi ($1.70/pp) back to Long Wharf and pick up the trail at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and work backwards to the Common. I would not walk the trail from the Constitution in Charlestown back to the North End - this is the least interesting stretch of the trail.

The Freedom Trail is not really a trail at all (unlike the Battle Road in Lexington and Concord). It's just an organized way to walk through Boston and see all the historical sights. IMO it was an inspired idea by someone, but in and of itself the Freedom Trail never existed in Colonial times.

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!

If we were to go to Bunker Hill first is it easy by Subway?

If you only got as far as Paul Revere's house, you missed Bunker Hill and the Constitution. If you want to see them, I would go directly there first. Then I would take the MBTA water taxi ($1.70/pp) back to Long Wharf and pick up the trail at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and work backwards to the Common. I would not walk the trail from the Constitution in Charlestown back to the North End - this is the least interesting stretch of the trail.

The Freedom Trail is not really a trail at all (unlike the Battle Road in Lexington and Concord). It's just an organized way to walk through Boston and see all the historical sights. IMO it was an inspired idea by someone, but in and of itself the Freedom Trail never existed in Colonial times.

Easy is a relative term. You have to take the Silver Line SL2 from Black Falcon to South Station and transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife for one stop (front of the train) and transfer to the Orange Line direction Oak Grove to Sullivan Square and walk about 15 minutes to Bunker Hill. I pulled up these directions for the trip in the morning and it said 71 minutes.

I worked for the National Park Service at the Charlestown Navy Yard and Bunker Hill Monument a few years ago. In my opinion, walking over the bridge from the North End or taking the water shuttle from Long Wharf are the best options to get there. My favorite places to eat were the Warren Tavern (est. 1780) near the Monument, or any of the Italian Restaurants in the North End. If you go to the nps.gov website you can get a lot of good information on the Freedom Trail.

Archived