Waterproof digital camera case questions

ShedQueen77

I am looking to purchase a waterproof case for my Kodak Easyshare Z612. I'm very new to this type of purchase and am hoping that my kind Cruise Critic friends can help guide me. :)

I did some research and found the Dicapac case for $70. I'm a little shocked at the price, but I'll pay it to have better quality underwater photos than the disposable takes.

1. Is this a good brand to go with or is there something better that you would recommend?

2. Available also is a "UV Coated Middle Size Lens"...is this something I need or does the case cover everything?

Here's the case:

http://www.dicapacusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WPH10

And the lens:

http://www.dicapacusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DCPLens-Middle

I bought one for my Sony and I liked it. Was well made and it did keep the water out. Here's a few pics using it- But I did go out and buy a new Sony camera and went with their hard case. Around $200 (case) but it is now SO much easier pushing the buttons and flipping for movie setting to picture setting zooming in and out. The pvc stuff the make the bag out of makes it hard but do-able to work with. Hope this helps and Happy Cruising!!!!!

13645_1056100618476_1704679562_107135_2025024_n.jpg

13645_1055472242767_1704679562_106141_519350_n.jpg

What pretty pictures! Thank you for sharing them. I think I'll try it and see how it works.

Do you happen to know if I need that piece for the lens too? Or would the case cover all of it? I'm sorry to sound so silly, but this is a new thing for me. I usually just buy disposables! :)

From what it looks like the DiCAPac UV Coated Middle size Lens is just a UV coated lens filter. That from what I know is to make your blue sky more blue and your green grass more green. That's good for taking pics. out of water. Don't think it will help for underwater. When you take underwater pics. and I googled for tips on how to- I came up with, 1) when you take pics underwater you lose the red from pics. Red can't filter through water and that is why you have a blue tint in my pics. and 2) You have to get 3 to 4 feet from what you're trying to take a picture of. This helps on getting ALL the color the fish or plant or whatever has. The better the camera the better the pics. I had a piont and shot Sony and when I ran my pictures through my photo editing program the pics. got better. So the little I know about this is the filter is not needed for underwater pics. But the bag is good to take pics out of water to keep your camera clean. Hope this helps and Happy Cruising!!!!!!!

I used a Dicapac for two years (before I lost it in Costa Rica). It did an excellent job of keeping the water out while snokelling. It worked great on rainy days in the rainforest too. I only paid about $30 for one online. Mine was for a Sony Cybershot camera. A case for a bigger camera might cost more.

It is tricky to operate the camera controls underwater, but otherwise works great. This year I think I'm going to splurge on a underwater capable camera.

From what it looks like the DiCAPac UV Coated Middle size Lens is just a UV coated lens filter. That from what I know is to make your blue sky more blue and your green grass more green. That's good for taking pics. out of water. Don't think it will help for underwater. When you take underwater pics. and I googled for tips on how to- I came up with, 1) when you take pics underwater you lose the red from pics. Red can't filter through water and that is why you have a blue tint in my pics. and 2) You have to get 3 to 4 feet from what you're trying to take a picture of. This helps on getting ALL the color the fish or plant or whatever has. The better the camera the better the pics. I had a piont and shot Sony and when I ran my pictures through my photo editing program the pics. got better. So the little I know about this is the filter is not needed for underwater pics. But the bag is good to take pics out of water to keep your camera clean. Hope this helps and Happy Cruising!!!!!!!

It sure does help; thank you!! Heck, I thought it was something totally different. I guess I'm just a point and shoot gal after all. :o

I used a Dicapac for two years (before I lost it in Costa Rica). It did an excellent job of keeping the water out while snokelling. It worked great on rainy days in the rainforest too. I only paid about $30 for one online. Mine was for a Sony Cybershot camera. A case for a bigger camera might cost more.

It is tricky to operate the camera controls underwater, but otherwise works great. This year I think I'm going to splurge on a underwater capable camera.

Yes, I noticed that the smaller ones were much cheaper! :) I'll have to practice the controls so I don't miss any good shots. I might look at buying a new camera as I haven't had a new one in 4 years...but just in case, I'll pick up the Dicapac too. Thanks for the information! :)

Archived