Taking children out of school for cruise

KC-100

It's funny but in the current school newsletter' date=' the principal said don't bring your kids to school if they're sick. She must have realized how many kids are coming in coughing and sneezing. But I know they still frown on the "non-illness" absences, no matter what.[/quote']

I mentioned this in another thread, but a couple of years ago we had a principal who got up at an assembly and told the parents to send their children in even if they were sick during our MD state testing (MSAs). She specifically told us to bring them even if they had fevers (we are usually told to keep them home with fevers or vomiting), and that they could go home right after the testing. She even called parents whose children were actually sick at home to badger them about why their kids weren't there for the test. One was my neighbor's child who had a fever and sore throat, and ended up testing positive for strep. The principal was having a fit because it was the last day of testing, and said "you need to bring her in to finish". My neighbor had some choice words for her. Sometimes the schools care more about those tests than our kids.

I just recently went on the Carnival Victory outof Miami. I had my kids out of school for a week. What I did was ask the teachers for homework (not alot) but something to keep them updated with school. Keep in mind that I did ask. But all they told us to do was to keep a journal. So when we were done for the day we used the ships stationary to write about our day. Another tip (if you don't mind) NEVER EVER book a cruise when school is out, cause if you do, the ship is wall to wall kids, and I'm not talking just young kids, but also rowdy college kids.

Another tip (if you don't mind) NEVER EVER book a cruise when school is out, cause if you do, the ship is wall to wall kids, and I'm not talking just young kids, but also rowdy college kids.

We cruised over Thanksgiving week and there were about 950 kids on that cruise (all ages combined up to 17), and my 15 and 10 yr old kids were 2 of them :D. I can't say it was horrible, in fact, my kids loved having so many new friends to mix with. I enjoyed getting to know the friends they made too. I had several conversations with teens here and there around the ship, and found they were quite interesting (and a lot of times very funny) to talk to. There was some mischief I witnessed, but nothing really bad. I came across an "elevator party" (I gently tsk-tsked them, and then they ran off to find something else to do), and I remember one teen asking the pizza guy very seriously, "Do you dream about pizza?" The pizza guy's expression was priceless. I would cruise on a "kid heavy" week again in a minute :).

When my husband and I were waiting in line for the past guest party, there was a couple in front of us complaining about how many kids were on the cruise. They were traveling alone. They turned to us to commiserate and we just smiled and said, "Yes, there are a lot of kids. We have 2 of them." I still chuckle when I think of their faces when we said that.

We've taken our sons out several times over the years (using frequent flier miles makes peak travel impossible!). We are taking our 13 year old out the week after his spring break next month, but figure that once he starts highschool (he struggles with grades), we won't be taking him out for a few years :(

I agree with the poster who mentioned that their kids have learned NOT to be spoiled by seeing the way many live in other countries...Our youngest got sick to his stomach in Istanbul when he saw the children begging and selling gum by the stick...we asked him if he would like to give them some money and maybe that would make him feel better. He got back off the bus and did and I know he will never forget that feeling.

I'm so happy to see such a positive thread concerning this issue. There was a time when we families would get blasted off the boards for taking our kids out! Times are certainly changing! Oh, and we fill out a formal request for the district and the teachers then provide the work for that week, then the school apparently gets paid while we are away. It works for me!

I'm so happy to see such a positive thread concerning this issue. There was a time when we families would get blasted off the boards for taking our kids out! Times are certainly changing! Oh, and we fill out a formal request for the district and the teachers then provide the work for that week, then the school apparently gets paid while we are away. It works for me!

That's one reason I like the family thread! Less judgement and more of a sense that everyone is really trying to help.

You are right, this has been a good discussion!

Our son is 11 and in the middle of the 6th grade and our daughter is almost 9 and in the middle of the 3rd grade. In California (and likely every where else in the US) you can get something called an "Independent Study Contract" which for us has a 5 day minimum and 20 day maximum. Here is what it says about it at our district's website: "Students who will be out of town on extended family travel not to exceed 20 school days are eligible to complete an independent study contract for the planned absence and to make up work missed. The parent and student shall be responsible for initiating the request for an independent study contract at least 5 days prior to the trip and for obtaining the requirements for the completion of makeup assignments. Contact your school principal for information about Independent study."

The absences are not counted as unexcused AND the school does not lose their daily monetary reimbursement (which keeps them happy!)!!

My children have PERFECT attendance. Neither one has missed a single day of school - they are very healthy!! So I have NO problems removing them for a family vacation! Life is MUCH more than sitting in a classroom and learning spelling words and math facts every day!

We will be leaving for our 12 day cruise on the Wedneday of our Spring Break so the the kids will be missing one full week of school this year. I have already signed the IS contracts and the teachers should be sending home their work a few days before our vacation starts. They will likely complete it all in the 5 days of school break before we leave. They will also each a few books to read on a regular basis as well as their own cameras and a journal. Their photos and journals will be shared in class.

Last year's cruise was to Alaska so we definitely went in the summer so they missed no school. The year prior was a 12 day Panama Canal cruise. We were out of school for the week of Thanksgiving and we went to visit family in Texas and then departed the Saturday after Tday for the cruise. They missed a full two weeks of school and returned to a week of school and then out for two weeks for Christmas vacation. Neither one fell behind - they always have work in advance and are ahead of the game anyway. A few years earlier we took them out for a week in October (ds was in 2nd grade I think) and he missed two weeks in Kindergarten for a cruise as well. Every single one of their teachers has applauded us on their educational vacations and preparing in advance (IS contracts) and ensuring we keep them in school the rest of the year. If there comes a time when it is harder and too distracting for them to miss time from school, we will try to work around it. But with dh's job and my job, we have to plan around schedules to take time off. Not to mention go when there are deals as well!

Great topic!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be taking my 2 daughters out of school (grades K and 3rd) for 6 days this spring. Due to DH's and my job the only coordinating time of is during school. I have already talked to both teachers and they were great. But unfortunatly the school rules will mean that the absences are unexcused and will be marked against them(meaning work cannot be made up). I tried explaining to them that family values are important in a world where 1/2 the marriages end in divorce and we want to ensure our children of our family values. Which is why they are going. I could not even dream of leaving them home. But fell on deaf ears. So teachers and I will do what we can. Also let me mention both DD's are exceptional students( might have something to do with family values???). So I applaud the other family's here that put there values in the proper order and enjoy as much time WITH their children. After all that is why we have them. Right?:confused: :)

I just told my fourth graders principal and teacher that he would be missing 6 days in April. He is an excellent student and has only missed one day this year. They were both very supportive and made me feel that this was an opportunity not to be missed. His teacher even said "I haven't even been on a cruise,yet! You'll have to tell me all about it." He will of course have lots of work to make up and he plans on doing a powerpoint presentation for extra credit, but it will be a great learning experience for him.:D

Archived