Rental Car Suggestions

dadofgage

okay, I am pricing out rental cars and finding a lot of hidden fees, etc. if you want to rent a car in one location and then drop it off in a separate location - we are coming from a location in north FL and then dropping off the car in Miami.

Does anyone have experience with a reasonable rate for a car rental rate or company for this type of situation?

I looked at Hertz and their cars are $85/day - not reasonable.

I looked at Dollar and they charge a $100 convenience fee for dropping off the car at a different location from where you rented it.

Help, this is very frustrating.

okay, I am pricing out rental cars and finding a lot of hidden fees, etc. if you want to rent a car in one location and then drop it off in a separate location - we are coming from a location in north FL and then dropping off the car in Miami.

Does anyone have experience with a reasonable rate for a car rental rate or company for this type of situation?

I looked at Hertz and their cars are $85/day - not reasonable.

I looked at Dollar and they charge a $100 convenience fee for dropping off the car at a different location from where you rented it.

Help, this is very frustrating.

What day of the week and what week has a lot to do with rates. Can you give us a little more information? Where are you coming from?

You didn't say wht date you were interested in . The price depends onspecial functions, conventions, football games and our winter tourist season.

Every government and tourist agency will add fees to the rental-no matter what city you are in.

Some search websited, like www.bnm.com, www.expedia.com, and others that look thru all the rental companies for what you want, so you don't have to look up each one.

Let us know what you find,

MaryAnn

PS- I needed a one-way rental for next May for 1 day -drop off in Ft. Lauderdale. I got a rate of $52 then decided to go one day later, changed the date and the price shot up over $100 !!

The reason - a 9,000 person convention coming to town !!

I am coming from Tallahassee - we were planning on leaving on Thursday and dropping the car off on Saturday.

Check out your automobile club on-line.......AAA ? Click on travel, then cars. They should have a Hertz link to click on. Using your dates and drop off to Miami I found a rate aprox $100.00. No drop off and including taxes.

I discovered this on our BCAA site (BC Canada).

We booked Hertz one wk rental, pickup Orlando airport Oct 25th & drop off FLL airport Oct 31st. Full size car - Including all taxes & no drop off fee total cost is $200.18. I called BCAA and they did all the booking for us.

It is worth it to get a membership for year just to get the savings on car rental.

Worth a try, but need to click on the hertz link on that site.

Good luck & let us know if it worked out for you.

Well, I would prefer a pickup on the 7th and then dropping off on the 9th in Miami - but it appears that it just might make more sense to rent the car for the entire week even though it would be just sitting in a parking lot somewhere while we are on the cruise. Our cruise is the 10th - 17th.

Man, do I have a deal for you!

Avis - Pickup at the Tallahassee Regional Airport on 9/29 returning to FLL on 10/2 using Rate Code: B999000.

Total = $100.70 for a Premium Car!

HOLEY MOLEY SALTY......... WOW...can you find me a deal better than $200.18 Hertz full size. Pick up Orlando airport 6pm Oct 25th, return to FLL airport 11:00am Oct 31st . I thought I got a great deal but maybe not.

Try Avis. I believe Avis in the state of Florida, is the only company that dosen't have one-way drop fees.

I was getting crazy prices for my dates. I tried AWD C356672 and this code reduced my costs almost 1/3 of the original total costs.

I'm not sure what the code is for other than corporate. I've been trying to locate it's source. It's seems to be the code on many discount online sites and okay to use for anybody.

Well, I would prefer a pickup on the 7th and then dropping off on the 9th in Miami - but it appears that it just might make more sense to rent the car for the entire week even though it would be just sitting in a parking lot somewhere while we are on the cruise. Our cruise is the 10th - 17th.

Dadofgage:

Keeping your rental car for the week and parking it at, or near, the Port of Miami is a whole other decision. Port of Miami parking lot is expensive at $20.00 @ day. There are hotels (search the CC boards) near the port that allow you to leave your vehicle in their lot for the week while you're on the cruise, but...the hotels' parking is 10.00-15.00 a night, plus you will need to add on a shuttle fee of 10.00 pp.

It's expensive to leave a car parked for the week, so consider that when making your decision.

Well, in that case...

Pick up a premium car (Cadillac CTS or similar) from Avis on Thursday, 10/7 at the Tallahassee Regional Airport dropping off at MIA on Saturday 10/8 using Rate Code: B999000...Are you ready for this?

$67.12 TOTAL!

Will that work for you?

HOLEY MOLEY SALTY......... WOW...can you find me a deal better than $200.18 Hertz full size. Pick up Orlando airport 6pm Oct 25th, return to FLL airport 11:00am Oct 31st . I thought I got a great deal but maybe not.

Well...I can't beat the price with Avis, but how about a convertible or a Cadillac for $210.96 total?

Well...I can't beat the price with Avis, but how about a convertible or a Cadillac for $210.96 total?

Would love to have convertible or caddy.....but don't think we will cancel booking. My only concern is picking up vehicle at 6pm....would hate to end up with a left over full size....then again...may be upgraded to convertible or caddy ?

We leave on 2 month vacation to States starting on Friday. I am so darn exhausted from researching & booking airlines, hotels, cruise, car rentals, excursions.

Thanks you SALTY & other contributors for such helpful advise. CC has been a godsend for me planning trip & we thank you & all for informative information. We start off in WV and end up in Louisiana before flying home to Vancouver end of November. Without CC and Tripadvisor I would have been lost regarding hotels, cars, tours etc.

Well, in that case...

Pick up a premium car (Cadillac CTS or similar) from Avis on Thursday, 10/7 at the Tallahassee Regional Airport dropping off at MIA on Saturday 10/8 using Rate Code: B999000...Are you ready for this?

$67.12 TOTAL!

Will that work for you?

Where are you finding the rate codes?

DadofGage-- I am also in Tallahassee and have been looking at one way rentals to Miami for next summer. It looks as though Avis does not charge a drop off fee. If the airport is more expensive--sometimes it is and sometimes not--try the N. Monroe location. Only problem renting away from the airport is the other locations are not open Sunday--the day I want to drop back off. Have you checked the rental back to Tallahassee? I found that to be more expensive. Call the agency, sometimes I have gotten cheaper prices that way than what is shown online. I would love to fly and skip the 7 hr drive but too much per person for the 3 of us from Tallahassee. Even Jacksonville is pretty high to fly to Miami. Let me know what you find out.

Tina

Man, do I have a deal for you!

Avis - Pickup at the Tallahassee Regional Airport on 9/29 returning to FLL on 10/2 using Rate Code: B999000.

Total = $100.70 for a Premium Car!

You are the man finding and getting fellow cruisers great rates.

I am planning on picking up a car after my cruise near Port Everglades or cabbing to the airport to get it. I am then traveling north to visit and then returning it to FLL airport. My dates are 11/8-11/12. What do you suggest?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Archived