Our cruise experience--Maui days 1 (RTH) and 2

annecolorgreen

Aloha! Finished up some work and can get back to this...hope it's helpful!

We woke up the first few days to room service breakfast delivery. We ordered coffee and juice every day (and extra juice to put in our fridge for later that day since it wasn't available in the dining areas) and a couple of days did "write-ins" for things my husband wanted like eggs or sausage. We never had a problem. We would then head up to the aloha buffet area to get things to make for our lunches out. I brought my own bread as I like 100% whole wheat sandwich thins, peanut butter, and honey and would get a banana to slice up and add and my husband got various lunch meats to make bread or bagel sandwiches with. I had picked up some pretzels and that held us for lunch pretty well. I also brought along a 1 gallon insulated container with a carry strap that I got from walmart (I filled it with little things for the trip to and from in the plane to save space) for $9.00. Every day, we filled it with ice from the machine (I would go to the aloha lanai deck up front as it was less crowded). Yes, I used a clean glass to fill with ;). That area was also a nice place to eat since it was outside.

As soon as we were able, we got off the ship and grabbed a cab to take to the airport since our rental car was waiting there for us. The best thing we did was spend $20 getting the Road to Hana narration CD--it was really wonderful even though I had read all about the Road and had the Maui Revealed book. A map came with it too. We got it from the Shell Station pre-cruise. Oh, and we didn't know this, but you can get a narrated Haleakala CD for $10 when you buy the RTH CD. I would have liked to have had it too.

The unfortunate thing was that it was drizzly and rainy all day but we still had a great time. We did the complete loop with very few stops and started at about 8:20 am (from Paia) and got back to the ship at 6:40 pm. It was much longer than I had expected. I'll try to give a little idea as to times as I jotted some down when I remembered.

One of the first very neat things to see was the rainbow eucalyptus just after MM 7. We got out and took a picture even though it rained on us and our cameras! Another neat initial impact was the smell--so many wonderful smells! Even though it rained, we kept our windows down.

We did stop at the Kaumahina State wayside park--at about 9:15'ish as saw some great views and chickens. At 9:45, we stopped at the Upper Waikani Falls (The Three Bears). Got some great pictures. At 10:08, we stopped at the Pua'a Ka'a State Park for a restroom break (cleaner than I expected) and there were a couple of small waterfalls if you walked back a bit. We also saw "lobster claw", some guava, red ginger, torch ginger, whine ginger, plumeria, taro, african tuilip, Ti and Red Ti, banana tree, chinese bamboo and Hala root throughout the day but several things were there. Great site! (how did I know what these looked like? a flower identification guide came with our CD and map from the Shell station!)

About MM 29, we stopped at the Nahiku Marketplace--basically several shacks. We spent more time than we expected there because it was better than expected! There was a gift area with some rather expensive and nice products. There was a coffee shop with pastries/bread and "Up in Smoke" barbecue stand where we shared a kalua pork taco and our friends had a smoked fish taco. There was a man who made candy from shaved coconut and it was AMAZING! $5.00 a bag or 5 for $20. I bought five bags and brought them home and they kept very well. (the vanilla was the best--and addictive) We left about 11:13.

Next stop was my favorite--Wai'anapanapa State Park at MM 32. VERY nice park with facilities and cell service (close to the airport). It was sunny when we arrived, so we checked out the black sand beach. (I must say that not enough warning is given about this walk down and up--I saw an elderly man fall and I'm sure he wasn't the only one). The guys in our group decided to snorkel and were sorry. The visibility was poor and the current was strong. Really wore them down getting back. There was a neat lava "cave" down there that I wouldn't have seen had I not noticed someone go in. It was on the right side and you could stand in it. It went through to the water. At the top by the parking lot, there were two freshwater caves with pools you could swim in (we didn't). It was a short hike to get there behind the sign with the "legend" written on it. This was also the spot for our first mongoose sighting--they were everywhere!

About 12:45, we stopped at Hana Bay Beach Park for a break and yet another "snow cone" shaved ice. blech. Next was our Red Sand Beach adventure. We finally figured out where to park and where to go. Down the trail wasn't TOO bad although it was slippery with red/black cinders and pine needles. Coming back up was almost impossible. I went with some pretty avid hikers and it took us awhile to come up with a plan as it was so steep and crumbly. Maybe we went to the wrong one??? It was a tad scary and I don't recommend it. I'm glad my husband stayed with the car--my kids would have had at least one parent left. We left about 1:45.

The next beach on the list was Hamoa--rated tops for beauty. I don't know about that but the guys had fun body surfing--I spent some time trying to get red dirt out of my khaki shorts (it did come out later--with Tide). It was a steep climb down and back on a paved surface--doable for someone in fair condition but probably not the elderly. We left about 2:30--a short trip.

At MM 42, we finally reached the Ohe'o Gulch and it was amazing. We were so excited because we were out of water and it was a state park--so surely there would be water? Nope, not potable water but they did have large bottles for sale for $3.00. The pools were amazing and we saw a double rainbow as the rain started to let up! We had a little picnic and packed up.

No more stops but the view on the "other side" was awe inspiring--maybe more than the front half. I'm glad we did it but the one-lane roads were scary and the jarring about made us crazy. We had hoped to stop at the Tedeschi Winery for their last tour at 3 pm--but didn't get there until 5:30'ish and it was even closed!! We made it back to the ship at 6:40 and hit the Skyline MDR and had amazingly quick service and average food. The "Not So NewlyWed Game" was pretty blah. (depends on the people playing I think)

Day 2, we headed to the SW side of Maui. First, we saw LePerouse Bay just after miles of "tilled fields" (at first glance). It was actually miles of a'a lava--the jagged kind and this was BROWN. Amazing to look at and see the path it traveled to the water. There were many people out snorkeling, but we didn't stop. Instead, we stopped at Polo Beach and had a relaxing morning on a lovely beach. Soft, firm sand, easy to walk on, parking looked safe, restrooms, picnic tables, outdoor showers, and just a few people. Beautiful. After a couple of hours, we stopped at Hula Cookies and Ice Cream and had our first "real" shaved ice...yum...and more kona coffee/choc chip cookies!

When we arrived back on the ship, I spent some time lounging poolside as the band and crew were doing a great job of involving the crowd. It was fun! Hmmm...this may have been the day we made kukui nut leis?? Not sure but it was a fun activity and the extra kits were affordable ($5).

Dinner was at "East Meets West" with friends and the wait staff was excellent and so was the food. My husband was able to get sushi which he likes ($2.50 for a large roll) and I didn't have to :D.

We had a jeep too, but I don't think it would have mattered. I wouldn't have a low rider though. We were probably at the Oheo Gulch an hour or so including our mini-picnic. If you were going swimming and/or rock jumping, you should plan to be there longer. We didn't as we were still hoping to make Tedeschi Winery not realizing how long it would actually take to get there.

(our friends ended up going the next day after the sunrise on Haleakala and bought some pineapple wine which we sampled and it was fairly good--a light, fruity wine)

Awesome reviews you have going!! I'm so excited to hear about your trip!!

We woke up the first few days to room service breakfast delivery. We ordered coffee and juice every day (and extra juice to put in our fridge for later that day since it wasn't available in the dining areas) and a couple of days did "write-ins" for things my husband wanted like eggs or sausage. We never had a problem.

Thanks for this idea about the juice! I take my nightly medication with OJ because I have a hard time swallowing pills. On past cruises, we filled up a bottle at the breakfast buffet and took it back to the fridge in our room but ordering it from room service in the morning is GENIUS! Now we don't have waste precious time going back to the room to drop of the OJ!

As soon as we were able, we got off the ship and grabbed a cab to take to the airport since our rental car was waiting there for us.

Did your rental car company not have a shuttle or was it too busy? Just wondering why you got a cab. Also, do you recall how much the cab was?

Hmmm...this may have been the day we made kukui nut leis?? Not sure but it was a fun activity and the extra kits were affordable ($5).

If I miss the lei making class and buy a kit, do you think it's pretty easy for me to figure it out on my own? We are taking a tour that day and I'm not sure if we'll make it back in time for the class. Thanks in advance!!

If I miss the lei making class and buy a kit, do you think it's pretty easy for me to figure it out on my own? We are taking a tour that day and I'm not sure if we'll make it back in time for the class

I can answer this one. The dailies will tell you each day when the kits for the various leis are on sale. You can buy kukui nuts of different colors (some with painted designs on them), lengths of ribbon for the ribbon leis, and shells of a couple different types. There were instructions available for the kukui nut and ribbon leis (the latter involve braiding, essentially). I also designed a couple leis of my own that were a combination of kukui nuts and shells. The kukui nut directions are very easy to follow (basically you string on a nut, tie a knot, string the next, etc.). The ribbon lei is more complicated. I missed that class, but the instructions were well-written. I bought ribbon to make one and got it started and showed it to one of the staff to make sure I was doing it right (I was).

FYI I think the ribbons (it's just grosgrain ribbon, you get two colors) are overpriced; can probably get ribbon for much less at a craft or fabric store at home, but as I said I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

I think Anne is correct that the kukui nut leis are done the second day on Maui. The fresh flower leis are done at Hilo and unfortunately I missed that class. For obvious reasons, you can't buy a "kit" to make one of those!

We got a cab because we had a week long rental and had decided to park and pay at the airport instead of the deserted port (pre-cruise--I know it was more secure looking the next night). The car rentals did have free shuttles but they went to the agencies. We paid like $20 cab fare and about $9 for parking (but split with another couple). We definitely got on the road quickly!

Yes, the kukui nut leis are SO easy...6 inches of string, tie a knot, put a nut (going the same direction--it is kind of "heart" shaped), tie a knot, and end with 6 inches. ;) Oh, and you thread it through with a thin wire (a molded paper clip would work if you lost it).

We didn't make the flower lei class either, but I did it in Maui pre-cruise at our hotel and failed miserably. Decided I didn't want to repeat that performance. I'll buy my flower leis ;).

My friend is a girl scout leader and bought nut kits for the girls but is going to buy ribbon at home to make those leis. Even the young kids could do them I'm sure.

I can answer this one. The dailies will tell you each day when the kits for the various leis are on sale. You can buy kukui nuts of different colors (some with painted designs on them), lengths of ribbon for the ribbon leis, and shells of a couple different types. There were instructions available for the kukui nut and ribbon leis (the latter involve braiding, essentially). I also designed a couple leis of my own that were a combination of kukui nuts and shells. The kukui nut directions are very easy to follow (basically you string on a nut, tie a knot, string the next, etc.). The ribbon lei is more complicated. I missed that class, but the instructions were well-written. I bought ribbon to make one and got it started and showed it to one of the staff to make sure I was doing it right (I was).

FYI I think the ribbons (it's just grosgrain ribbon, you get two colors) are overpriced; can probably get ribbon for much less at a craft or fabric store at home, but as I said I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

I think Anne is correct that the kukui nut leis are done the second day on Maui. The fresh flower leis are done at Hilo and unfortunately I missed that class. For obvious reasons, you can't buy a "kit" to make one of those!

We got a cab because we had a week long rental and had decided to park and pay at the airport instead of the deserted port (pre-cruise--I know it was more secure looking the next night). The car rentals did have free shuttles but they went to the agencies. We paid like $20 cab fare and about $9 for parking (but split with another couple). We definitely got on the road quickly!

Yes, the kukui nut leis are SO easy...6 inches of string, tie a knot, put a nut (going the same direction--it is kind of "heart" shaped), tie a knot, and end with 6 inches. ;) Oh, and you thread it through with a thin wire (a molded paper clip would work if you lost it).

We didn't make the flower lei class either, but I did it in Maui pre-cruise at our hotel and failed miserably. Decided I didn't want to repeat that performance. I'll buy my flower leis ;).

My friend is a girl scout leader and bought nut kits for the girls but is going to buy ribbon at home to make those leis. Even the young kids could do them I'm sure.

Thanks to both of you!!

Thank you for the review and the warnings about some of the hills and trails! I am still not sure what we will be doing in Maui, but if we do TRH I will keep all of that in mind as I have bad knees and a bad hip that work fine for normal activities, but give me trouble with inclines. I even avoid stairs when possible.:(

Ginny--I don't want to discourage you as there IS a lot to see on the RTH that you don't have to hike/climb to, but there is also so much to see on Maui that you can drive to see that doesn't require much effort. You can see some beautiful cliffs/water coastline from the road if you head up north past Ka'anapali (and it's not a far drive). Several places to just pull off and look at the amazing view. Then, you could drive SOUTH and see the views down that way (including the a'a lava alongside the road) and the beautiful homes/resorts and stop at a beach if you wanted to. The Iao Valley area isn't far from the ship (PoAm) and is gorgeous. There is a steep walk but you don't have to do it and won't miss out on much by staying below. If we'd had time, there is also a free garden there (small) that you can walk through at the base. They are pulling out all non-native vegetation and replacing it with all native. Lahaina is a beautiful town with nice coast views, cute shops, history, and restaurants. Parking can be a bear there though. Kihei is a cute spot too (where many of the boat cruises go out) and they have a small aquarium that only has fish native to Hawaii. They also replace them every few months and let them back out in the wild (nice, huh?). We didn't have time for the aquarium unfortunately.

Just some ideas.

Thank you for the review and the warnings about some of the hills and trails! I am still not sure what we will be doing in Maui, but if we do RTH I will keep all of that in mind as I have bad knees and a bad hip that work fine for normal activities, but give me trouble with inclines. I even avoid stairs when possible.:(

Ginny, there's plenty to see along the Road to Hana that doesn't involve hills and trails! I traveled with my 81-year-old mom and 79-year-old aunt, both of whom have had both knees replaced. On RTH, they especially liked the Keanae (not sure I have the spelling right) Peninsula, with the fantastic lava rock formations, wild crashing waves, and tangled hala tree roots, all of which could be easily seen from the car. Not to mention that our guide took us to a banana bread stand there that he said was the best on the Road!

My 12 yr. old is begging to do some "rock jumping." Any suggestions?
Hmmm...that wasn't on our list ;). The safest place that I saw where people were jumping was on a lower rock into the Oheo Gulch...BUT...there were signs posted that it was against the rules to do it. Obviously, it was being overlooked by the rangers, but I still wouldn't let my 12 yr old do it. You might do a search or start a thread and see if anyone else has ideas??? I'm sure there is somewhere to do it safely.

Ginny, there's plenty to see along the Road to Hana that doesn't involve hills and trails! I traveled with my 81-year-old mom and 79-year-old aunt, both of whom have had both knees replaced. On RTH, they especially liked the Keanae (not sure I have the spelling right) Peninsula, with the fantastic lava rock formations, wild crashing waves, and tangled hala tree roots, all of which could be easily seen from the car. Not to mention that our guide took us to a banana bread stand there that he said was the best on the Road!
agreed! there is definitely something for everyone on that trip!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am actually really looking forward to Maui, but am researching it casually as we have relatives there. We hope to get together with them on Sunday, but are very up in the air with plans. So, I am doing my research with a lot of "IFs" in mind! I do not know at this point how much time we will spend with them, if any at all.

Archived