A different kind of birth certificate/boarding drama....

Christine in MO

if she's getting it from a government office then it will NOT be the certificate of live birth, that only comes from the hospital where one is born.

but i wanted to say to the OP. the mispelling may not be an issue so if you don't have the corrected one, go with what you have, but bring a copy of her marriage certificate for the name difference on her drivers license!

My Birth Certificate from the states department of vital statistics says certificate of live birth...

We leave on the Elation on Nov 6 (myself, hubby, 2 kids, mom & step father). My mother is 60 years old and has never been out of the country before and until now apparently never had a need for her birth certificate. So she goes in person to purchase a copy of her birth certificate and the clerk informs her that they cannot find one in the system for her. After more investigation they do finally find 1 but my mom said this isn't me (her maiden name is spelled ENTIRELY wrong). And they said yeah it is...its what we have on you. So, now she has to go through a alot of paperwork stuff through the state capital with notaries & affidavites to get the spelling of her name corrected. It takes between 2-4 weeks. Which would be cutting it very close to our departure date. Anyway, to go on the cruise does she really have to have a corrected one? I mean all she needs is her birth certificate & drivers license....she is married so the names aren't going to match anyway right? Of course she is going to get it corrected and all but WHAT IF it doesn't happen before our departure date? Yes, they said 2-4 weeks but we are talking about the government here......

Years ago, think back to 1980 ish, my grandma tried to get a birth certificate and they told her she would have to find someone who witnessed her birth to prove she was born. She was 70 or so at the time!

Hope things work out for you!

I'm guessing not...like I said she did have that certificate of live birth from the hospital....maybe she was allowed to use that for everything she needed? She has been married twice, has a drivers license, went to school and is retired from the post office. How she has gotten by for the past 60 years without having a copy is beyond me but she has....kinda strange huh?

I never needed a certified BC until I applied for a Passport in 1992...I was 38 at the time and my name had changed twice by then.

In Cail my mom just used certificate of live birth from LA General Hospital to take care of business over my life. Never had a problem with DL...marriages...nothing. So I think it was just the times back then....they accept the hospital document:)

Hmm, I was married in the south and used my first, middle, married name -dropped my maiden name. Never have heard of using your maiden name as your middle name once married :confused: Maybe I'm just different :D

Then I moved to the west :eek:, came to my senses and divorced the cheating SOB and changed it back. :D

To each their own. My boyfriend's brother actually took on his wife's last name and hyphenated it with his, so they both have the exact same last name without having to give up their own identity. Kind of a cool idea.

Just returned from visiting my parents. My mother is actually a Northern (NY, ILL) native, and she even dropped her middle name and kept her maiden name as middle. So did both of my grandparents. :)

Archived