Dolphin Discovery - 4 yr. old & water depth?

martdm

I've read varying accounts about this. Some say the water is only 3 feet deep and fine for young kids whereas other reports have stated water depths at waist, chest, or even chin deep on an adult dependent upon the tide.

Can anyone help me make a decision on this by sharing what info you know? I'd love to book this with my son, who is 40" tall right now. I don't have any problem assisting him in the water, but don't see that being very productive if the water is up to my chin!

I'd really like to do the dolphins in Cozumel rather than Grand Cayman as there are other things we'd like to do there, but might have to do it in GC if I can't find reassurance on the water level in Cozumel as I understand that one is in a pool with a static depth.

Thanks for any info you can help with!

i just returned yesterday from a cruise that stopped in coz. My wife and I took our 6 year-old twin daughters with us for the dolphin swim. They provide life jackets for everyone, but the water is the open ocean with just metal pens and platforms. The waves and water height make it almost impossible for a 4 year old to stand. You will be holding you son the entire time with one hand on his life jacket and your other one will be holding yourself to the railing. This will make it basically impossible to take pictures of anyone else in your group (if there is anyone else). They had a mexican guy take each of our children out into the water to have the dolphin do the boogie board push and belly ride and hug, which was nice so we could take our own pictures with our own underwater camera. One piece of advice, each small child will need their own adult to hold them...it is that demanding. There would have been no way that my wife could have handled both of our 6 year olds alone if I had not gone also.

Do you plan on doing the dolpin swim or dolphin encounter? My husband and I did the dolphin encounter with our three kids ages 5, 3, and 1 in May. They all had life jackets on, but I agree with the previous poster that the water was too deep for them so we held them most of the time. It was a little tricky for us given that my husband and I were outnumbered by the kids, but it was definitely manageable and all five of us had a fabulous experience. There was a pier directly behind the platform where we were standing so we would occasionally have one of the kids sit there while we were taking pictures of the others. Plan on having to hold your son the whole time while he's in the water, but you'll still have a wonderful experience.

Have a great trip!

p.s. We were able to get great pics of each of us interacting with the dolphins despite being outnumbered by our young kids so like I said...it is definitely manageable.

We're going to be on Disney but I don't believe the Dolphin Discovery program is limited to them. In Cozumel it's at Chankanaab park; not sure of the Grand Cayman location but I'm sure if you so a search, you'll find it easily.

Archived