Cayman Excursion - Rays, Hell, & Turtles with Carnival Valor

rjhollan

I'll be on the Carnival Valor in November and stopping here. They've got two excursions I'm interested in, but I'm not sure what the difference are (other than price):

Discover Cayman - Stingrays, Hell & Turtle Farm, 4.5 hours, $64.95/pp

Stingray Sandbar, Hell & Turtle Farm Experience, 4.5 hours, $71.95/pp

Anyone know what the difference in these is?

We're also looking for private tours that offer a similar itinerary, but I'm thinking we'd need to do them seperately, e.g. a sandbar tour for the rays, then catch a cab to Hell to mail some postcards, and another cab to the Turtle farm, and finally a cab back to the boat. Or is there a tour company that offers a "combined" tour like the one the cruise line does, but without the huge crowds?

Oh, and we want to pick up some rum cakes; are the Big Black Dick / Blackbeards / Tortuga shops withing walking distance of the tenders, or do we need yet another cab? :)

Thanks,

Rich

Island Marketing offers a tour that does turtle farm, stingray sandbar, reef snorkeling, Hell and Tortuga (though it doesnt mention Tortuga they did stop there). We did this tour last year and loved it. The tour is done by Capt Marvins Watersports located directly across the street from the pier. Great outfit and great tour.

They got back to me. $35 for the stingray/snorkel tour plus $30 for the turtle farm & hell. That's only $5 cheaper than the Carnival excursion.... not much of a savings.

I would say that from what i could tell, Capt. Marvin's provides a much better tour with quite a few less people, whereas the cruise tour is most likely going to be packed and rushed.

That is where i found the value in booking through Marvin's.

I'll be on the Carnival Valor in November and stopping here. They've got two excursions I'm interested in, but I'm not sure what the difference are (other than price):

Discover Cayman - Stingrays, Hell & Turtle Farm, 4.5 hours, $64.95/pp

Stingray Sandbar, Hell & Turtle Farm Experience, 4.5 hours, $71.95/pp

Anyone know what the difference in these is?

We're also looking for private tours that offer a similar itinerary, but I'm thinking we'd need to do them seperately, e.g. a sandbar tour for the rays, then catch a cab to Hell to mail some postcards, and another cab to the Turtle farm, and finally a cab back to the boat. Or is there a tour company that offers a "combined" tour like the one the cruise line does, but without the huge crowds?

Oh, and we want to pick up some rum cakes; are the Big Black Dick / Blackbeards / Tortuga shops withing walking distance of the tenders, or do we need yet another cab? :)

Thanks,

Rich

I booked that excursion on the Freedom last year. The shore excursions desk offered me 2 different tours, and the ONLY difference was the times. Once may have started at 8, the other 9:30, for instance. There are plenty of places there right as you're headed back to your tender to get rum cakes.

Archived