Stay in Daytona if departing from Miami?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet, it is about a 4.5 hour drive. Daytona is a nice place to stay. you can drive on the beach. It is a great tourist stop. Ft Lauderdale strip is fun if you're into the night life. If you stay in Daytona, I would leave relatively early (by 8 am) to get to the port on time. I used to live in Melbourne, about 70 minutes south of Daytona, and I always leave before 9 just in case I have a blowout, there's an accident, etc. Have fun.

Thank you both for your replies. I thought it was about that long since I tried to measure on a map, but I wanted to make sure. We stayed there 4 years ago, after visiting Disney World. My dh had gone when he was 18 with friends from school, and always wanted to go back.

Why would a rainstorm cause a delay, just out of curiousity?:)

Why would a rainstorm cause a delay, just out of curiousity?:)

When one of our famous rainstorms hit, it will pour so hard that you cannot see 5 feet in front of you. This can and will bring traffic to a dead stop. Some people continue driving as if its dry and crash causing further delays. These sudden torrential rainbursts will usually last for 5 to 15 minutes with zero visability. I wish I could explain it better, once your experience one you'll see what I mean. ;)

Bequia, I live on Lake Huron where the snow squalls can be pretty brutal, so I can understand what you mean by not seeing more than a few feet in front of you. We have had to stop and dig through the snow to see if we were on the road or the shoulder, it has been so bad. Thanks for the warning though!;)

Archived