Westerdam 13-20 February 2005 part 7

thulewx

Ahhh – I can tell I’m getting into the cruise mentality when I start thinking, “review? What review? Oh, later...”

Yesterday was Grand Cayman... I think. I didn’t get off the ship – we had 5 other cruise ships in port with us – 2 mega RCCL, 2 mega-carnivores and the Star Princess – 12,000 extra folks wandering the streets all looking for that one special bargain. I don’t think so...

I stayed on board. I arranged a little cocktail party for some friends, played trivia (winning for the 3rd time in a row – “Team Thule” is getting a reputation – we won again today. I now have 2 “Dam Ships” hats and 2 HAL keychains. Should I put them on Ebay?

Anyway, last night was the cocktail party which the Neptune Lounge helped me organize flawlessly, and which the steward helped setup and clean up afterwards flawlessly. This Penthouse Suite is built for small parties...

Then it was off to the Pinnacle. There had been some confusion about dates for the reservations, but after I pointed out the fact that it was written in the Neptune Lounge’s log as their first entry of the cruise, it was all rectified. The whole dining experience was superb. I had the crabcakes, incredible filet mignon, and Crème Brulet. One had the Baked Alaska-esque dish and most had the chocolate volcano cake dish (which didn’t look like I remembered, but all liked it). Fabulous service from our Turkish waiter and his Indonesian assistant, and the Maitre’D, Imre (from Hungary) was sublime. So we missed surf-n-turf – so what! Afterwards, we wandered the ship, from Crow’s Nest to Disco, then the tryptophan kicked in and I had to retire. We set our clocks back one hour in anticipation of arrival at Cozumel – so one hour extra in the excellent bed!

Today was Cozumel. The ship started allowing pax to get off at 10 am, early, and we leave at 9:30 tonight. I went in and did some obligatory duty-free shopping. Cozumel is turning into a very Americanized mall-type atmosphere. Tonight, we have an outdoor BBQ with “ice-craving” demo (I hope they meant ice-cARving demo) and another show by the Westerdam song & dance cast, plus late-night adult comedy. I’ll probably just go to the Crow’s Nest for “RAIN” – they’re so good...

Tomorrow is our last full day (ALREADY??? :eek: ), and it’s at sea. I’m having another cocktail party for all the Greenland folks, then our last supper and packing time. Heavy sigh..... :(

Tonight, we have an outdoor BBQ with “ice-craving” demo (I hope they meant ice-cARving demo)

I don't know, after a day in Cozumel I tend to crave ice also - a whole bathtub full!

Thanks for remembering us poor land-locked sealubbers!

Archived