New Orleans Scavenger Hunt Ideas for Teens

ccsrn

I was thinking of some clues to find specific locations. For instance:

Find a french donut without a hole. Make sure you aren't wearing black as you can't leave without wearing some of this snow.

There are no others like me traveling on the Mississippi River, but once there were thousands. People come to ride me when they hear my voice.

The answer is the sternwheel steamboat NATCHEZ at the Toulouse Street Wharf near Jackson Square.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd keep it all in the French Market area. Wouldn't want the teens to stumble upon Bourbon Street, just steps away. There are lots of fun things near the chapel, including street artists and such. Have them take pictures on there cell phones of the items on the list or maybe record a street performer performing a certain song for extra points.

• 1 month later...

I have my scavenger hunt form ready. Will let you know how it turned out when we get back. I think I will get some really good photos!

New Orleans Scavenger Hunt:D

Architectural Details-

____ 2 points for each picture of a different railing design. since 1850 spanish style iron fencing has been used.

____ 2 points for picture of a shotgun house (has a center hallway from front door to backdoor through which you could fire a shotgun- roof runs perpendicular to street)

____ 2 points for picture of a creole cottage (which is the earliest existing house style- roof runs parallel to street)

____ 2 points for stopping to visit Miss Mary or Miss Ethel at Aunt Sally’s and enjoying some sugar.

____ 2 points- Watch your step! Get a picture of the Crescent City Water Cover or a termitecap or nite lite.

____ 10 points- In front of Bourbon Street Sign-Team doing the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil pose.

____ 2 points – Maxx and Hurley are staying warm at the kennel. Get a picture of a local tradition involving other hot lucky dogs.

____ 2 points –Some think you have to go North for snow. This place has over 150 types of snowballs.

____ 2 points for each New Orleans Nicknames

· NOLA- short hand postal address

· BIG EASY- named after a dance hall-epitomizes way of life.

· CRESCENT CITY- named after the crescent bend in the Mississippi.

· BIRTHPLACE OF JAZZ

· MARDI GRAS CITY- has 80 parades city wide from Jan 6th to day before Lent/Fat Tuesday.

____ 2 points for these MADE IN NEW ORLEANS items

· Zapps potato chips

· Elmer’s Heavenly Hash

· Luzianne Tea

· Community Coffee

· Boudreaux Butt Paste

· Cane New Orleans Rum

· Tony Cachere creole spices

· Zatarain

· Crystal Hot Sauce

FUN IN THE FRENCH QUARTER

____ 2 points for picture in front of the oldest continually active Catholic cathedral in America- hint- you won’t find an arch around it.

____ 2 points SAINTS AND SINNERS- get a picture of these street signs. There are five named after saints and three named after sinners.

____ 2 points for pictures of your team with the following street artist- make sure to leave a tip -

· Ladderman Mike

· Buzzette

· French Quarter Vampire

· Uncle Willy

· Gold/Silver painted performer

· Cocomo Joe homemade drum set

· Street music gig

____ 2 points UNO-DOS-TRES these pastries are covered in snow are served in an open house donut market since 1862- points for picture eating beignets.

I start as a stream 1” deep in Minnesota. I am 2,348 miles long and drain 31 states. A raindrop falling in Minnesota would arrive in the Gulf of Mexico in 90 days. 2 points for each of the following:

· Moonwalk

· Ship Traffic Light

· Paddle Wheeler

· Freighter

JAZZ

____ 2 points for picture of Louis Armstrong founding father of jazz played the coronet.

____ 2 points for picture with statue of Jazz

CITIES OF THE DEAD

Local myth that tombs are above ground due to water table.

____ 2 points for a raised tomb which are preferred for Roman Catholic burials

___ 2 points for protestant ground burials

CITY PARK

There are 2200 oak trees( the largest stand in America) in this 1500 acre park.

____ 2 points for duelling under the duel oaks

____ 2 points for picture on a flying horse

____ 2 points for picture of a small streetcar.

Remember to include all members of team in photos. Double points will be given for any picture or video uploaded to facebook. 10 points will be given to teams that can provide any additional photos with a history lesson to go with it.

Team with the most points wins $100!!

Team Napolean – Clyde, Karen and Spencer

Team Louie – Steve, Cheri and Savannah

Team Saints- Chad, Tyler and Courtney

I have my scavenger hunt form ready. Will let you know how it turned out when we get back. I think I will get some really good photos!

New Orleans Scavenger Hunt:D

Architectural Details-

____ 2 points for each picture of a different railing design. since 1850 spanish style iron fencing has been used.

____ 2 points for picture of a shotgun house (has a center hallway from front door to backdoor through which you could fire a shotgun- roof runs perpendicular to street)

____ 2 points for picture of a creole cottage (which is the earliest existing house style- roof runs parallel to street)

____ 2 points for stopping to visit Miss Mary or Miss Ethel at Aunt Sally’s and enjoying some sugar.

____ 2 points- Watch your step! Get a picture of the Crescent City Water Cover or a termitecap or nite lite.

____ 10 points- In front of Bourbon Street Sign-Team doing the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil pose.

____ 2 points – Maxx and Hurley are staying warm at the kennel. Get a picture of a local tradition involving other hot lucky dogs.

____ 2 points –Some think you have to go North for snow. This place has over 150 types of snowballs.

____ 2 points for each New Orleans Nicknames

· NOLA- short hand postal address

· BIG EASY- named after a dance hall-epitomizes way of life.

· CRESCENT CITY- named after the crescent bend in the Mississippi.

· BIRTHPLACE OF JAZZ

· MARDI GRAS CITY- has 80 parades city wide from Jan 6th to day before Lent/Fat Tuesday.

____ 2 points for these MADE IN NEW ORLEANS items

· Zapps potato chips

· Elmer’s Heavenly Hash

· Luzianne Tea

· Community Coffee

· Boudreaux Butt Paste

· Cane New Orleans Rum

· Tony Cachere creole spices

· Zatarain

· Crystal Hot Sauce

FUN IN THE FRENCH QUARTER

____ 2 points for picture in front of the oldest continually active Catholic cathedral in America- hint- you won’t find an arch around it.

____ 2 points SAINTS AND SINNERS- get a picture of these street signs. There are five named after saints and three named after sinners.

____ 2 points for pictures of your team with the following street artist- make sure to leave a tip -

· Ladderman Mike

· Buzzette

· French Quarter Vampire

· Uncle Willy

· Gold/Silver painted performer

· Cocomo Joe homemade drum set

· Street music gig

____ 2 points UNO-DOS-TRES these pastries are covered in snow are served in an open house donut market since 1862- points for picture eating beignets.

I start as a stream 1” deep in Minnesota. I am 2,348 miles long and drain 31 states. A raindrop falling in Minnesota would arrive in the Gulf of Mexico in 90 days. 2 points for each of the following:

· Moonwalk

· Ship Traffic Light

· Paddle Wheeler

· Freighter

JAZZ

____ 2 pointsfor picture of Louis Armstrong founding father of jazz played the coronet.

____ 2 points for picture with statue of Jazz

CITIES OF THE DEAD

Local myth that tombs are above ground due to water table.

____ 2 points for a raised tomb which are preferred for Roman Catholic burials

___ 2 points for protestant ground burials

CITY PARK

There are 2200 oak trees( the largest stand in America) in this 1500 acre park.

____ 2 points for duelling under the duel oaks

____ 2 points for picture on a flying horse

____ 2 points for picture of a small streetcar.

Remember to include all members of team in photos. Double points will be given for any picture or video uploaded to facebook. 10 points will be given to teams that can provide any additional photos with a history lesson to go with it.

Team with the most points wins $100!!

Team Napolean – Clyde, Karen and Spencer

Team Louie – Steve, Cheri and Savannah

Team Saints- Chad, Tyler and Courtney

I am really impressed.!!!

I was born and raised in New Orleans. I think you have capture the spirit/essence of New Orleans.

You must have done a lot of research to come up with this list.

I 'got' most of the hints and it took me a few moments to come up with the others.

Like the: 2 points- Watch your step! Get a picture of the Crescent City Water Cover or a termitecap or nite lite.

How many non- New Awlins folks know about that???

Now that I re-read this, you have to be from/born/raised in New Orleans???

Have fun with "Da Hunt". If possible please post any pictures.

JimmyJames

A few pictures to get you all started:

2309761060104734279S600x600Q85.jpg

2940461050104734279S600x600Q85.jpg

2661528570104734279S600x600Q85.jpg

2552215210104734279S600x600Q85.jpg

I am reading a book about New Orleans that I realize is more of a travel book (though it is not classified as one). It is called Very New Orleans - A Celebration of History, Culture and Cajun Country Charm by Diana Gessler. It talks about many of the things mentioned or asked on this board. It is great because it has a basic map of the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Garden District and Cajun Country. It is an easy, fun read and would even be good for kids to read. It has some great illustrations and talks about little-known facts about New Orleans. Great overview of the city!

This is the book I used for research for the scavenger hunt- it's illustrations are fun too! I can't wait to get out and explore the city- after reading this book I feel like I know my way around!:D

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!! That is some good stuff there.

One nick name that isn't listed is, "The City That Care Forgot." And one suggestion is to give 3 points for a real steamboat photo (Steamer NATCHEZ) as opposed to a diesel sternwheeler (M.V. CREOLE QUEEN). There are plenty of diesel boats operating, but only one paddlewheel steamboat currently operates on the Mississippi River. It's just a thought.

Have fun and may the best team win!

WOW!!! That is some good stuff there.

One nick name that isn't listed is, "The City That Care Forgot." And one suggestion is to give 3 points for a real steamboat photo (Steamer NATCHEZ) as opposed to a diesel sternwheeler (M.V. CREOLE QUEEN). There are plenty of diesel boats operating, but only one paddlewheel steamboat currently operates on the Mississippi River. It's just a thought.

Have fun and may the best team win!

This what you are looking for:

2297787190104734279S600x600Q85.jpg

JimmyJames

This what you are looking for:

2297787190104734279S600x600Q85.jpg

Yep, she's the real thing! Only her, the STR. BELLE OF LOUISVILLE, which operates on the Ohio River, and Str. CHAUTAUQUA BELLE, on Lake Chautauqua in New York, are the only three paddlewheel steamboats carrying passengers for hire on the entire Mississippi River Tributary System.

• 2 weeks later...

What a fun quiz! I'd like to be in NOLA right now so I could participate. I think I will save this thread so we can explore when we go on the Triumph this summer. We are planning to come to New Orleans a couple of days early so we can have some fun before we cruise.

Thanks for the information.

Sherryl

• 9 months later...

Archived