Eastern Caribbean excursions?

jac1976

I am taking my mother and my two children on the Magic next spring. My kids will be 3 and almost 6. My mom is a very young and energetic 61. Any suggestions on excursions? Also, if we decide not to do an excursion, are there still activities hosted on board the ship? Thanks!

On port days there are a few things to do on the ship but mostly hand out around the pool, movies and such because most people get off the ship if only to walk around.

Well with kids as young as 3 I would say the Butterfly farm on St. Maartin is nice and they have a short shopping stop too. It is not a long excursion so you have time to explore on your own too.

If you want alittle beach time but not wanting to expose kids to all the clothing optional beaches you can grab the water taxi at St. Maartin that is right at the port (on the left side) and go to the shopping area. Just a few feet from wher eyou get off the water taxi there is anice sandy beach both to the elft and right of the dock area. They rent chairs and umbrellas there and it is warm shallow water for kids to play.

When your tired of relaxing and letting the kids play there are dozens of stores directly behind the beach. So you can shop a bit too if you want. You can see the ship from the beach.

Then grab the taxi back to the main dock where the ship is. Its like a 5minute ride. It was cheap although I dont remember the price.

Many of the tours there were great but your kids would be bored as young as they are. Lots of riding, stop 5 minutes and ride again types of excursions.

St. Thomas also has a butterfly farm. Coral world is ok for young kids. It is aquarium style place with indoor and outdoor tanks. I fyou do the Disney excursion you will be split into 2 groups. One to see (on your own) the fish and under water observatory the others will do the semi sub ride.

Then reverse places. If you go to www.coralworld.com you can read all about the place. Kids love it there. This is a fairly long ride to get there so I would not do it on your own because if you got delayed the ship will NOT wait for you. Go on their excursion and even if traffic gets bad(and it does) and your late they will wait for you.

Sometimes you tender at St.Thomas. But whether you tender or dock there are places to shop where you set foot on land If you dock and walk across the shopping area to the far back side and cross the street there is a sky tram that takes you up to a great view point. Kids like the ride and at the top at certain times they have a tropical bird show.

There is a short trail to stroll around for the views and food and restrooms are available. Then take the tram back down again.

There are nice beaches on both islands and on St. Johns too but I always figure castaway cay is my beach day.

Again all the island tours are great but most would bore kids so young. Thats why I only listed a couple of places I know kids that young would enjoy.

Hope this helps you some,

Kathy

Archived