Need peso's if your going to Mexico.

wl2cruise

US$ is still widely accepted in Cozumel and Cancun, etc. in the tourist areas. If you're planning to spend more than $100 in any one place, you may have to break it into more than one purchase, or use a credit card. We've used our credit card in the Riviera Maya area at reputable establishments with no problems. Otherwise, use an ATM and get pesos for spending. The fees that are charged are negligable compared to the peace of mind ($3-5 generally speaking).

It's not rocket science, people. It's a foreign country. :)

WOW. A bit harsh don't you think? After all, we are guests in their country. Guess what - I've been to Canada and several European countries. They don't take my USD there either. It's remarks like that that give us that brushstroke of the "ugly American." Last time I checked, we don't take "their" pesos, Euros, pounds, or Canadian dollars....even in tourist areas. :rolleyes:

If your transaction is small, they are still taking USD. Just not over $100 USD. It's their right. It's your right not to go there or to spend money but don't act high and mighty about it. Geez...

couldn't have said it better myself!

TAP TAP TAP (is this thing on?)

There was a thread posted not 1.5 hours prior to your regarding this same issue.

Sheesh. Can you folks not READ THE BOARD A BIT before you just post something?????? Maybe do a SEARCH? Seriously.

Now, I don't proclaim to be a forum genius, but I think even the newest of the newbies can figure that one out.

The newest of the newbies can probably also figure out not to open a thread that is just going to annoy them.

I always wonder why someone posts something in the subject line as if its true and for all of Mexico. I was in mexico earlier this month and I can tell you this wasnt true in Cozumel, which is part of mexico. Im betting most ports still accept U.S. dollars.

Did we even take the time to open the link and read? It never said they weren't accepting U.S. dollars. It clearly stated not over $100. We complain when bad things happen and when the Mexican government tries to do something to control it, we have a problem with that also.

No. But you will usually receive change back in Mexican money.

After our visit to Tulum a couple of weeks ago DW and I stopped at Carlos n Charlies for a couple of beers while waiting for the ferry back to Cozumel. I gave the waiter $20 USD for the bill and my change was a mix of Pesos and USD. I figured out the cost in Pesos which was posted and they came very close to the official exchange rate of 12 peros per USD. Most merchants in Cozumel accept your USD but keep it at a simple (for them) 10 to 1 exchange. Thereby giving them an extra 20%.

Archived