April..school vacation NOLA

inga418

Does anyone know what week Schools in NOLA are on vacation in April? In the Northeast we are on vacation the week I am cruising which is April 16. I work in a school so I have to take my vacations when the kids do so I am curious to see what the kid population will be like on board. I am hoping that the folks from the Northeast on vacation will sail out of New York or Florida. Love kids but, when you work with them daily its nice to have a break and from what I have read Adult only areas are not enforced on the ships. Someone told me they think Nola is on vacation the week after my cruise which is also easter week. Just curious and like to know what to expect so I don't have higher expecations.

Spring break isn't a big deal in New Orleans. Instead, students are given time off for Mardi Gras, which is on March 8 in 2011, and most schools are closed on Good Friday, a public holiday in this predominantly Catholic area, and some are closed the day after Easter.

I can't remember my kids ever having a whole week off in April.

Actually, I have never heard of any schools not having off either the week before or after Easter. My kids are in public schools on the Northshore of New Orleans and they are off of school Good Friday and then the whole week after Easter, which is April 22th - 29th. We went on the NCL cruise out of New Orleans last Easter and there were a lot of kids on the ship though probably not as many as summer time. We have relatives with kids on the Southshore of New Orleans and sometimes they have the week before Easter off. It moves around from year to year, being either before of after Easter but it is always a week and this always includes the public schools as well. Now there are many charter schools in New Orleans but I think that they would be off too. You can look up the different schools boards and view their calendars. It is not just Orleans parish schools but also St. Bernard, Jefferson and St. Tammany Parish school systems that would effect a cruise (these are all of the suburbs surrounding New Orleans). When the local schools are out, the cruises out of New Orleans do have more kids on them (usually a lot more). For example, we are going on the cruise out of New Orleans next Mardi Gras and that week is March 7 - 11th. We know 6 other families with kids going. It usually isn't more than the summer but it is a lot more.

Archived