Monarch question

I saw on the ship profile that there is a sushi restaurant on board...is there an extra charge for this? Is it any good? In all of the monarch reviews I've read recently I don't think I've noticed anyone commenting on this. Also, do you have to make reservations?

Jade is located above the back of the Windjammer. They have some sushi, and also serve something called Hot Rock (? forget the actual name) that is a super-heated stone and you get meat or shrimp or veggies and you cook yourself. That we had and really liked.

The sushi is not what you would get at a really good sushi place, and they have some rolls that were different from what you normally see. It was OK, but again consider where you are.

There is a charge for both of these things, and I beleive you can make reservations by calling.

The Jade restaurant on Monarch is not like the Jade section of Windjammer on other ships. Jade on Monarch is an entirely separate restaurant from Windjammer, and charges by the item. Sushi and salads run about $5, hot rock fillet is $7 for the petite and $12 for the full size. We've enjoyed dinner in Jade several times, and it usually runs us about $20 per person. It is only open for dinner, and while they recommend reservations, we've never seen it crowded.

I've never been on Oasis, but I thought there was a venue there that seemed to be similar to Jade on Monarch. If I recall correctly, the Oasis venue was also per item pricing, and included the hot rock entrees.

DW and I have logged more than 1Million air miles between us (and 15 cruises), and have eaten in some of the best sushi places from coast to coast and beyond in the past 20+ years, and the sushi in Jade on Monarch ranks among the best we've ever had. At $3-4/roll, it's very reasonably priced as well.

Archived