Mayan Ruins in Belize

Spoiledliz

I will be on Liberty of the Seas leaving Miami on January 30th. We will be arriving in Belize on Tuesday, February 1st. I am very interested in taking a tour of the Ruins in Belize but the prices on Royal Caribbean's excursions are ridiculous!

I am interested in booking through IslandMarketing which will be $50 cheaper...My concern is the distance of the excursion to the pier. If my van doesn't make it back in time the ship will not wait for me. But that is also true of Royal Caribbean's excursions isn't it?

My question to you is, is it worth the extra $50 to go through the ship?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Which is better? Xunantunich or Lamanai?

I will be on Liberty of the Seas leaving Miami on January 30th. We will be arriving in Belize on Tuesday, February 1st. I am very interested in taking a tour of the Ruins in Belize but the prices on Royal Caribbean's excursions are ridiculous!

I am interested in booking through IslandMarketing which will be $50 cheaper...My concern is the distance of the excursion to the pier. If my van doesn't make it back in time the ship will not wait for me. But that is also true of Royal Caribbean's excursions isn't it?

My question to you is, is it worth the extra $50 to go through the ship?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Which is better? Xunantunich or Lamanai?

There are other boards that have already dicussed this. Check earlier postings.

I would recomend Lamanai through the ship because of the tendering and distance.

I've been under the impression that with a ship sponsored excursion, they will wait...not good for business if they sell the excursion and then bugger off if it is late getting back

That is one of the main advantages of taking a ships tour besides getting an earlier start they will wait for you. Peace of mind not worring about will we get back in time is worth the extra dollars on a all day tour in the jungle.

Thanks for the responses!

Regarding the excursions...I have read on here that they will wait to only a certain extent...This is where I am conflicted...

If your on a ships excursion they will wait for you. :)

If your on a private tour they may wait for a while but they will leave you, though this dosen't happen often I have seen it done.:(

The Lamanai ruins are great and I would recommend them, however, travel to the site involves a long bus ride and a long river trip. When we took the trip we returned barely in time to catch a tender back to the ship and nothing went wrong during the excursion, hence the recommendation to do a ship excursion.

Archived