Drop off Dollar Rental car @ Miami Airport for Cruise

MBMiner

There are many discussions here about dropping off cars in Miami for cruises out of Miami, but I haven't seen my specific question answered.

If I drop off a car at the Dollar parking lot at the Miami Airport, can I get a shuttle to the Port from there or do I need to take their shuttle back to the terminal and then take a shuttle or taxi from the terminal to the Port? I called Dollar with this question but wasn't confident I was getting a straight answer.

I have done this various ways in the past and have wondered if there might not be an easier way with a shuttle direct from the parking lot.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

There are conflicting posts on shuttle to POM from the car rental companies . My experience, so far, (cruising 1/16/11 from POM.) I rented a car from Thrifty in July because at the time they had shuttle service to POM, But last month someone posted that Thrifty didn't have a shuttle anymore. So I called Thrifty at Miami Airport and was told no more shuttle service.(well thanks for telling me !!!:eek: I would have gotten there and had a big surprise !!!:mad: I heard that Alamo had a shuttle to POM. So I called there directly and was told they have a shuttle NOW, but not sure if they will in the new year . So I booked Alamo for Jan. 15. and hope they still have the shuttle !! They said to call back in Dec and they should know then !! If you call Alamo "headquarters" they say that Miami Alamo doesn't have a shuttle to POM. Alamo at Miami Airport says they DO have a shuttle !!!( at least for now).

i just read on these boards that Dollar is bringing back their shuttle service to POM because of all the negative reports that they were receiving.. So what is a person to do..just check closer to cruise time. I would call Miami airport car rentals places direct and NOT their reservation center.

Hope this helps with the confusion.

Frank

Frank - Many thanks for your reply. Your information confirms the confusion that seems to exist with this. At the end of a cruise I have taken a taxi to the rental parking lot. I'm not even sure a cab can be found there going from the rental lot to POM. I guess I can always take their shuttle to the terminal and then the cab from there to POM. Seems kind of a crazy way to do it, but at least it's a sure thing. Thanks very much for your help.

Bruce

I used Alamo both ways for the EPIC cruise Oct 23-30. I had originally posted that Dollar/Thrifty discontinued their shuttle service.

Due to pressure and increasingly number of complaints Dollar/Thrifrty have resumed the shuttles to POM.

I actually saw the shuttles when I returned from my cruise on Oct 30. I asked the Alamo driver and he even told that they resumed because of complaints.

In any case; a few weeks before contact the local Miami office for the respective car rental place. Going through 800 number gives wrong info.

Archived