Is it legal to check alcohol not in its original container on airlines?

I have gotten lots of great ideas about how to conceal alcohol on our rc cruise from here, thanks! however, is it legal to check alcohol on an airline if it is not in it's original container? The last thing I need is for all of my luggage to be confiscated and not make it on my cruise.

If it is illegal, does anyone know of a good way to keep a bottle of liquor from leaking in my luggage? Our flight does not come in until midnight the morning of our cruise, so I will not have time to get to a liquor store.

We bring a lot of alcohol home from Europe and some of it is homemade and not in factory sealed bottles. Here's what I do, and I've never had a bottle break or ruin anything in my suitcase.

First, make sure there's a teeny bit of airspace in the bottle, to allow for any expansion. If it's not factory sealed, I seal the lid as tight as I can get it then tape it with duct tape or heavy tape. Next, I wrap the bottle in a light layer of bubble wrap if I can get it (not always available where we are in Europe) then thoroughly seal all open seams with tape. Seal it with a second layer of plastic baggie and retape. The two layers of taped plastic usually take care of any minor leakage. I then pick a thick item of clothing that I can live without if it gets leaked into, like a cushy sweater or the blanket shawl I often travel with. Wrap the bottle in the clothing and tape the clothing around the bottle so it won't come off. Then, pack the bottle in the center of your suitcase, with clothing items around it on top, bottom, and to the sides.

The advantage of using less plastic and more clothing as cushion is that it saves space in your luggage. I sometimes bring 4-5 bottles home in one suitcase and that can take up a lot of room.

I have brought many many bottles of alcohol home this way and never ever had anything break or leak. Moreover, the TSA has actually unwrapped some of my bottles to inspect after I've checked them and had the courtesy to rewrap in the same fashion as my original wrapping. :)

Archived