Passenger capacity

CanadianTwosome

It's looking like our sailing on the Epic in December is going to be full, so I'm curious as to what that means for passenger capacity. I know that when I look at the ship stats, beside the capacity I see (double occupancy), so I interpret that to mean that it represents 2 x the number of cabins on board. Is this correct? So, does the ship actually hold more passengers than that when there are more than two in a cabin? Obviously there has to be a 'real' limit - there are only so many seats on the lifeboats. Does anyone have this information, or can anyone tell me where/how to look for it?

Thanks! :)

Hi Canadian Twosome!

Well just over 1 month and we will be onboard. Can't wait. Have you started packing yet? I hope with it being a full ship we won't notice it very much. Heard you guys got 15 cm of snow yesterday so I'm sure you can't wait either. Will be looking for the blue cowboy hat! :)

Sunscreen

Disney Wonder Nov '04

Disney Magic Nov '06

NCL POA Feb '08

Crown Princess Jan '09

NCL Epic Dec '10

Each Epic lifeboat has a capacity of 293 people. There are 20 lifeboats this size on the Epic. Source: http://answers.ncl.com/answers/4066/category/EPIC/norwegian-epic-questions-answers/questions.htm?page=37&sort=recentq&dir=asc

Therefore, the maximum passenger capacity possible is 5,860.

Math: 293 x 20 = 5,860.

Although in reality, since there will be some crew members aboard each of the 20 lifeboats, somewhat less, depending upon the number of crew members it takes to man the lifeboats.

Additionally, there are as much capacity, if not more, in life-rafts on the ship. Life-rafts can be used in place of lifeboats for the crew to reduce the required number of lifeboats required, but not for passengers, as far as SOSAS is concerned. There's also the SOSAS requirement that there's sufficient capacity in both lifeboats and life-rafts on each side of the ship for both passengers and crew, in case the boats and rafts on the other side can't be used.

I also wish the point out that the Epic's lifeboats are almost twice as large as the lifeboats on all other NCL ship, which have a capacity of 150 people.

Archived