First time on a Mega Ship - Please Help

pcm1961

I will be on the January 9th sailing of the Allure of the Seas and just can't wait!!!!!!! This will be my 5th cruise(3 different cruiselines) and my 2nd with RC. My first with RC was many many years ago on the Song of America. This is my first experience on a "Mega" ship.

So my question to you all, with all these different restaurants (Chop's, Starbucks, Johnny Rockets, etc), what all will cost me extra to eat at???? I know Chop's is extra - a have a reservation there my first night - but what about the smaller places?

We are also going to give MTD a try. I read here where folks have very strong opinions one way or the other, but I think it will be nice not to have to rush for dinner at a certain time every night!!!!

Any information or advice you can give a First Time Mega Ship Cruiser will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Also, does anyone know which deck the walking track is on and what is the distance around?????

Thanks All

My Time Dining might be the best option on Allure and Oasis because of the timing of the shows. There is so much going on, and you will need to somehow fit in eating around all those shows and events such as the parades.

If you eat in extra pay restuarants, many of those venues require advance reservations. There again, the timing has to be right to avoid conflicts with activities you don't want to miss.

The extra pay restaurants include Johhny Rockets, Giovanni's Table, Izumi, Rita's Cantina, Samba Grill, Chop's, the Chef's Table dinning, plus specialty coffees at Starbuck's. (I could be forgetting something.:eek:) Each of the restaurants charges a different price. Also, at least on Oasis, breakfast can be had at Johnnie Rockets, but at no charge.

I think the walking deck is on Deck Five with the life boats. It goes all the way around. I like the little sayings painted along the way to encourage you to keep exercising. The length of a lap and the laps per mile are painted on a sign both in miles and KMs. Hubby doesn't like the lifeboats blocking the view, but I didn't think it was so bad.

If you don't get all your reservations made before you board, you can make them on your stateroom interactive TV. You can also go to the show and get in the waiting line. Folks with reservations are seated first. If it is a restaurant, go to the podium and ask if any tables are available. You might get lucky. We got in Giovanni's Table for lunch one day just that way.

I hope you enjoy Allure as much as we loved Oasis.

• 1 month later...

We had set dinning at 6 pm on our Oasis sailing and really loved it. The dinner ran from 6-7:30ish, which gave us plenty of time to get to the shows and get good seats. We loved our waiter and busboy who by the second night got all our preferences down pat. We always found plenty of menu options and had no problem finding what we want. Dinning at a fixed time allow us to scheduled shows and still not have to stress over where to eat or if we will miss the shows.

Archived