Seward Excursion choices

SherBear

Trying to decide on a couple of options for an afternoon in Seward. I arrive by train approximately 11am and leave on RCCL that night at 9pm:

1. From experience, is the half day cruise from Seward worth it?

2. Has anyone done the Godwin Glacier Dog Sled Tours? or should I wait for Juneau?

Thanks in advance.

Both are good choices.I love to fly so Godwin would be my 1st choice. Other options well worth considering are Exit Glacier and the Sealife center. You would have time to do Godwin dogsledding,Sealife Center and Exit Glacier if you plan it out.Let me know if you would like some help with this. ~~Enjoy Alaska~~

The 6hr Kenai Fjords NP tour is very worthwhile, they will meet the train if you have reservation, and store your luggage for you. Exit Glacier is also nice short walk from parking lot, with taxis and tours going there and is right up road from Ididarod Seavy family kennel tour and ride.

Thanks Glacier Lady & JohnQ - I was comparining the Marjor Marine half day tour with the Kenai Fjords National Park half day cruise and it appears that the Kenai Fjords cruise goes out farther. Am I correct? If that is the case, the NP Cruise seems better.

By the way, I noticed toursavers offers a coupon for everything BUT the Nat Park Tour. Instead, they are doing 2 for ones on the Northwest Fjord Tour (Kenai Fjords tour group) -

Anybody every do this - it's pretty long isn't it?

th

Hi!

We'll be doing the same thing in August. Can you catch a tour to Exit Glacier from the train station? What about transportation to Seavy's? How far are they from the dock? Can you do all three (glacier, Seavy's & cruise) in the same day and be back for boarding the ship on time? Also, is the cruise you're talking about the 1/2 day Resurection Bay cruise? Thanks for your help!

NeeterN

By the way, I noticed toursavers offers a coupon for everything BUT the Nat Park Tour. Instead, they are doing 2 for ones on the Northwest Fjord Tour (Kenai Fjords tour group) -

Anybody every do this - it's pretty long isn't it?

th

Yes, several times and it is my preferred trip way over the 6 hour trips.

Hi!

We'll be doing the same thing in August. Can you catch a tour to Exit Glacier from the train station? What about transportation to Seavy's? How far are they from the dock? Can you do all three (glacier, Seavy's & cruise) in the same day and be back for boarding the ship on time? Also, is the cruise you're talking about the 1/2 day Resurection Bay cruise? Thanks for your help!

NeeterN

You can take a cab to Exit Glacier- about 12 miles, Seavey's runs a shuttle. If you are ovenighting in Seward the day before, you COULD perhaps do all three, but I NEVER recommend the bay cruise.

Going on the 8hr tour plus seavey's and Exit Glacier in one day would be tough. But if you didn't eat and had transportation, there would be enough light. The visitor center doesn't stay open at exit until dark. We have done exit and seavies near end of day. At least they are the same direction from Seward.

I spoke with the Dog Sleeding comany for Seward and was told that the train rarely arrives on time. If that is true, I could possibly miss the Kenai Fjords trip.

My thought is to do the dog sleeding in Seward so that I won't be disappointed if the weather is not favorable in Juneau. I would also have time to visit the SeaLife center before boarding the ship.

Exit glacier....most people average 2 hours there. The entrance booth and vistor center is usually open from 8am-7pm.$5 fee per vehicle.If you go before or after this you get in free!National park pass,Golden Eagle pass will also get your vehicle/group in free.The park doesn't close when the rangers leave. Free ranger lead walks at 11am and 3pm everyday.No need to worry about light during the summer,won't get dark till after midnight.The best time to go is when there isn't alot of people,better chances at seeing wildlife.(Bears-black&brown,moose and goats)There is a board at the vistor center where they report sightings.You can take a taxi right from train depot and ship terminal.$45 per van rt.You set up a return pickup time when you get dropped off...www.pjstaxi.com..Seavey's Iditaride..You can do that either before or after Exit Glacier.$40 adults $20 kids allow 2 hrs for that also.You DO NEED reservations and they do provide a free shuttle to/from town....You can save transit time and taxi fare by taking a taxi to the glacier after your dogsled ride..STAY AWAY from the Real Alaska Tour.I've seen the railroad booking this tour alot and it's a major rip-off.

I spoke with the Dog Sleeding comany for Seward and was told that the train rarely arrives on time. If that is true, I could possibly miss the Kenai Fjords trip.

My thought is to do the dog sleeding in Seward so that I won't be disappointed if the weather is not favorable in Juneau. I would also have time to visit the SeaLife center before boarding the ship.

The train arrives in Seward...when it gets here...supposed to be 11 am ...have seen it up to a couple hrs late for various reasons,not usually though.There will be others going on wildlife cruises also. They have buses lined up ready to take you on that long 1 block ride.I won't worry about missing the boat because of train delays.They would lose too many customers coming off the train. The Godwin Glacier dogsledding is awesome..You'll love it and it will be a highlight of your trip.Your going to be on the water for the next week.It really surprises me how many want to jump right on a boat and be on the water more.

Archived