Safe for single mom and son?

atreehuggingirl

So I have been doing ALOT of research on Montigo Bay, and I am reading alot about the crime. :eek: Would we be better off just staying on the ship at this port? I was hoping to grab a taxi and head over to RIU resort, see some friends that are going to be there and keep the same taxi for like a mini guide....now I am thinking it may not be such a good idea. Any suggestions....

I was hoping to grab a taxi and head over to RIU resort, see some friends that are going to be there and keep the same taxi for like a mini guide....now I am thinking it may not be such a good idea. Any suggestions....

There is no reason for you to change your plans. Please don't let people scare you.

As long as you get one of the Cabs that has a Sticker on it you'll be just fine. (Ask at either the info desk or shore ex desk what to look for on a taxi) I'd have your friends tell the place they're staying that you will be coming to visit as a number of places only let registered guests or those on a planned ex visit.

So I have been doing ALOT of research on Montigo Bay, and I am reading alot about the crime. :eek: Would we be better off just staying on the ship at this port? I was hoping to grab a taxi and head over to RIU resort, see some friends that are going to be there and keep the same taxi for like a mini guide....now I am thinking it may not be such a good idea. Any suggestions....

I am as anti-Jamaica as anyone, but as long as you take the standard precautions, you should be fine. There is crime everywhere. Make sure you get a reputable taxi and don't take anything valuable with you off the ship--keep your passport in your cabin and don't take a lot of cash. You should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Montego Bay and have been there with just women. Last time we were there a taxi driver waited for us and took us to the various places we wanted to go. We felt like he was our own personal tour guide. He was very friendly and proud of his island. Hopefully you will find someone like this. I wouldn't hesitate, just be aware of where you are and as other posters said, don't take a lot of valuables, only what you need.

Archived